Groundhog day for kids can be a fun day in the middle of winter. We have a treat idea below that your kids will love that will help celebrate this occasion. Make homemade banana muffins then add a few accessories to make them look just like a groundhog! What kid wouldn’t want to dive into these?
Groundhog Day for Kids Muffin Recipe
For the muffins:
- 1 ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whole almonds or banana chips (2 for each muffin)
- Chocolate chip morsels (1 for each muffin), plus about 1 tablespoon melted
- Small candy eyes (2 for each muffin)
- Fudge-covered Mini Oreos (2 for each muffin)
- Miniature marshmallows (2 for each muffin)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners then spritz with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Create a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the bananas, melted butter, and vanilla. Add the egg and whisk until well blended.
- Then pour the banana mixture into the well of the dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter among the 12 cupcake liners.
- Then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Press the pointed end of an almond into the muffin to resemble a small ear. Then repeat to create a second ear.
- In the middle of the muffin, line up two fudge-covered mini Oreo cookies to be the groundhog’s cheeks. Press a chocolate morsel of the top where the Oreos meet to serve as the nose.
- Above the nose, place a candy eye on each side.
- To attach the miniature marshmallows, melt 1 tablespoon chocolate morsels and use a toothpick to apply a small amount of chocolate to each marshmallow. Press the marshmallow against the muffin below the “cheeks” using the chocolate as glue.
Aren’t they adorable? The perfect way to celebrate groundhog day for kids!
Now, just grab your ingredients and mix up a batch of these cute muffins. You can let the kids help decorate these as well.
You might even make enough of these for the whole class! After all, teachers love celebrating groundhog day for kids as well!
Want more groundhog day for kids ideas? Try the links below!
- Groundhog Day Pudding Cup Snack
- Groundhog Day Craft
- Mask for Groundhog Day
- More groundhog day crafts
- 15 more groundhog day activities for kids
Looking for easy recipe ideas?
Struggling with supper and what to make? Do you wish you had a way to make meals faster? The dump recipes system allows you to make 10 meals in just one hour or less, rescuing your dinnertime and saving you time and money.
Want to try it for yourself? I have the perfect cookbook for you. Chicken Dump Recipes includes 5 plans, each with printable shopping lists and printable labels. Most of the 25 recipes included can go from the freezer to the crockpot, saving you even more time. All the recipes include gluten-free instructions as well.
What are you waiting for? Give the dump recipes system a try in your home and make meal time a bit easier!