I used RIT liquid dye for my project in four different colors (as shown below). My instructions below will all be based on using the liquid dye. If you choose powder or another method, research on the dye manufacturer's website to find the best method for using the dye you have purchased.
I then dyed the areas one at a time. First I did some research on the RIT website and came up with the following recipe for the dye (WEAR GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH DYE!!):
- Add 1/2 cup salt to the bucket.
- Pour in 1 gallon plus 2 cups of VERY hot water and stir to dissolve salt.
- Add one drop of liquid dish detergent and stir.
- Add 1/4 cup dye and stir.
- Put in your item for 15 minutes. (In this case, put the item in until you are almost touching the rubber bands and stop. Make sure the entire dipped area stays under the water. ONLY put in the area from one rubber band to another. The remainder of the curtain should stay out of the dye.)
- Remove after 15 minutes and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Allow to dry before moving onto the next color.
You will also see some clothespins in the water below because I was experimenting with some other pieces since I had the dye out. More on that in another post if things work out.
It is very critical to allow each section to dry before moving onto another color so the colors will not bleed as badly. Each section took me 30 - 45 minutes between mixing, dying, and rinsing. So be prepared to not leave your work. Overall this is an easy process and I would encourage you NOT to be afraid of dye. It is a very fun medium to experiment with and the possibilities will blow your mind. Always wear gloves, old clothes, and use an old bucket. Be careful where you get the dye as it WILL STAIN. Oh...and have fun!
Once all four sections were dyed and dried, I removed my rubber bands and allowed the entire piece to fully dry. The areas between colors are the coolest part in my opinion as some is left white while there are areas where the colors blended as well. Overall these are the perfect curtains for a teen room.
I then used the curtains to determine the height of the curtain rod. I wanted them to barely grace the floor. We did not go all the way to the ceiling on purpose as we wanted to include the "R" collection above the window. Y'all stay tuned for the teen room reveal next week. You don't want to miss the rest of this room. In the meantime, enjoy my DIY tie dye curtain tutorial.