Jello poke cake is a moist, delicious cake that’s light, super simple to make, and tastes incredible. Grab this recipe and make a festive red, white, and blue cake for your next summer gathering.
This jello poke cake is perfect for the Fourth of July! It’s super easy to make and tastes light and cool for those hot days. Whip up this recipe in minutes for all of your summertime parties.
Just like a good dump cake, this recipe is a crowd-pleaser and is also easy to adapt for any flavor, color, or occasion. You will love this patriotic cake and your guests will ask you for the recipe!
Ingredients Needed To Make 4th Of July Poke Cake
Here’s what you’ll need to make this poke cake:
- White cake mix
- Strawberry gelatin
- Boiling water
- Berry blue gelatin
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Whipped topping
Note: For the complete list of ingredients and amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
How To Make A Jello Poke Cake
- Bake the cake mix according to package instructions. Remove from oven and allow it to cool.
- Poke holes in the top of the cooled cake.
- Mix the blue and red gelatin, each with 1 cup of boiling water until dissolved, in separate bowls. Spoon each color gelatin over the cake into the holes. I love to alternate the jello colors on the cake to create a colorful red, white, and blue treat.
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of milk. Add whipped topping.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake.
- Adorn your cake with rows of strawberries and blueberries.
- Chill for 4 hours then serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions about Jello Poke Cake
Here are a few common questions I see from some readers.
Does jello poke cake have to be refrigerated?
Yes, because of the jello, whipped cream, and cream cheese, you need to keep the cake chilled. I recommend keeping the cake in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it. If you have leftovers (you probably won’t!), store the cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze Jello Poke Cake?
Yes you can, but the method will vary depending on whether the cake is frosted.
If the cake isn’t frosted, wrap it up in plastic wrap and then in a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze it for up to 3 months then, when you’re ready to enjoy it, let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours to thaw.
If the cake IS frosted, you’ll need to use a flash-freezing method. Separate individual pieces of the cake on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer. Freeze for a couple of hours until the outside is frozen. Then, wrap with a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months!
This Jello poke cake is as easy as it is beautiful! What’s NOT to love about a cake that even looks like fireworks and that starts with a basic cake mix. A dressed-up cake mix is my favorite kind of dessert because it’s so simple to make.
If you wanted to enjoy this cake in cupcake form (along with some lemonade cupcakes), you can totally adjust this recipe and make cupcakes! No matter how you choose to make it, try it this summer and enjoy!
Try These Delicious Summer Recipes
- Patriotic Drink with Strawberries
- Patriotic Sundae Party
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- 4th of July Desserts
- Over 30 patriotic recipe ideas
Need to print this recipe? Try the recipe card below!
- 1 18.25 ounce package white cake mix, prepared to package instructions
- 1 package 3 ounce package strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water for gelatin
- 1 package 3 ounce package berry blue gelatin
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed
- 1 quart strawberries chopped
- 2 cups blueberries
- Bake a white cake in a 13×9 inch pan according to package instructions. Remove from oven and then allow to cool.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the cake.
- Mix together the blue and red gelatin each with 1 cup of boiling water until dissolved, and then spoon each color gelatin over the cake, making sure to pour over the holes. The best way to do this is a row of blue, then a row of red and alternate so you get a colorful mix of red and blue in the cake. It’s good to spoon over each row 2-3 times for good coverage.
- Then mix together cream cheese and powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix in the whipped topping.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the cake.
- Top with rows of strawberries and blueberries.
- Chill for 4 hours before serving.
Looking for easy recipe ideas?
Struggling with supper and what to make? Do you wish you had a way to make meals faster? The dump recipes system allows you to make 10 meals in just one hour or less, rescuing your dinnertime and saving you time and money.
Want to try it for yourself? I have the perfect cookbook for you. Chicken Dump Recipes includes 5 plans, each with printable shopping lists and printable labels. Most of the 25 recipes included can go from the freezer to the crockpot, saving you even more time. All the recipes include gluten-free instructions as well.
What are you waiting for? Give the dump recipes system a try in your home and make meal time a bit easier!