This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
Making your own patriotic home decor is so much easier than you may think. Today, I am going to show you how to make this patriotic pot with red, white, and blue flowers. Add it to your mantel with our patriotic bunting for the season or even a party table to decorate for guests. Either way, everyone will love this cute clay pot and its patriotic flowers.
This one was first published on June 13, 2013, however, I am republishing with more information.
- Patriotic fabric
- Mod Podge
- Clay pot
- Phoomph (you can also use stiff interfacing)
- Embroidery thread
- Foam ball
- Tissue paper
- Hot glue and a glue gun
- Washi tape
- Serrated knife
How to Make Patriotic Home Decor
Now that you have your supplies, it is time to put them together to make something amazing. There are quite a few steps but the project overall is super simple to make so hang in there!
DIY Patriotic Craft Idea
- Wrap a small clay pot in tissue paper and adhere with Mod Podge. I used two sheets of tissue paper on my pot. I am using a polka dot tissue paper but plain colors would work as well.
- Insert foam ball into clay pot. Press down to get an indention on your ball.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the ball along that line.
- Your ball will now fit into your pot. Press it down well and use hot glue if it needs to be secured.
- Then wrap some short dowel rods with washi tape.
- Insert washi covered dowels into ball in three different locations.
- Add some ribbon randomly onto your ball with hot glue. We are going to cover this entire area with buttons in a few minutes. The ribbon is only for those areas that may be visible in between the buttons. I also wrapped the upper portion of my pot with some blue embroidery thread.
- To make the fabric flowers, apply fabric to both sides of the Phoomph sheet then cut into a rough circle. You can also apply stiff interfacing to two pieces of fabric then glue them together back to back. You just want to make sure the flowers stand up and the fabric doesn't fray when cut.
- Cut that circle into a spiral as shown.
- Starting in the middle use hot glue to form your spiral into a flower. Add buttons to the center of each flower.
- Add lots of buttons around your pot with hot glue.
- Use additional hot glue to add your flowers to the tops of your dowels. Then add this project to your home decor for summer. You will love how it looks!
This project is easy enough for beginners but makes a great statement piece around your home during the summer months. Does anyone else add red, white, and blue to their home in the summer? I love adding a few patriotic touches to my home to celebrate America and freedom around both Memorial Day and 4th of July.
You might even have a bunch of old buttons laying around which means that you have most of what you need for this project already. Pick up the other supplies and make some patriotic home decor! You are going to love how it turns out.