Today I have a tutorial for a no-sew headband ear saver that will help those that have those face masks that use elastic around the ears. I can tell you that I hate having anything around my ears. I can’t imagine wearing a mask all of the time like the healthcare workers need to do. So, make a few headbands for yourself or for your nurse friends to give those ears some relief. The best part? This is made with an old t-shirt! WOW, right? Read on to see how!
Supplies to make a face mask ear saver:
NOTE: You will need a needle and thread to add the buttons but otherwise this is a no-sew project.
How to Make a No-Sew Headband Ear Saver:
Start with any old t-shirt then follow our instructions below and make as many headbands as you would like. No more sore ears when you make a button headband to add to your face mask. You can see the entire process in the video below.
Can’t watch the video or missed some of the steps? You can also follow along with our tutorial below or print the instructions as well.
- Old t-shirt
- Fabric glue
- Cut the body of an old t-shirt into about 5 inch wide strips.
- You will need to try it on to approximate size at this point. You can cut the t-shirt strip from the previous step into two pieces and remove the seam if it is long enough. If it is not long enough, just cut once so you have one long strip.
- Add a line of fabric glue down one of the long edges and fold over the piece. Press down well and allow to dry.
- Turn the piece right side out from one of the ends and place the seam down the center as shown.
- Use additional fabric glue to adhere the two ends together and make the headband. You will also want to use glue to secure the raw end under itself so it is not showing.
- Allow the glue to dry completely.
- Then use your needle and thread to add buttons on both sides. I found that for me, buttons on the folds worked great. You may want to try on your headband to get the correct placement. Now your no-sew headband ear saver is complete and ready to wear!
So, if you have healthcare worker friends that are struggling with elastic face masks right now, this might just be the answer. And you can help whether you can sew or not!
You can, of course, make this ear saver headband for yourself as well. If you are anything like me, the elastic drives you crazy! I actually made some face masks with ties because I can’t do the elastic at all!
Once you make one no sew headband ear saver, you might not be able to stop! So, be sure to keep the supplies on hand to make a bunch.