Items needed for the DIY Sock Stick Horse:
- Brown socks (I found mine in the men’s department at Walmart.)
- Faux leather (I purchased one yard in black from the fabric department. A 1/4 of a yard would have been plenty.)
- 1/8 inch suede lace
- Lion Brand Yarn in Barley
- Brass Plated Key Rings (2 per horse) (30 mm rings work best)
- 1 inch Jingle Bells (2 per horse)
- 2 white and 2 black buttons per horse
- Brown felt
- Brown embroidery thread
- 2 1/2 inch Styrofoam ball
- Red plaid material or bandanna
- Hemp twine
- E6000 glue
- Fiberfill stuffing
- 5/8 inch dowel rod 36 inches long
Directions for the DIY Sock Stick Horse:
4. After all the pieces have been sewn to both key rings you will have a halter for your stick horse as shown below.
9. Using that same zig zag stitch, begin at your 2 1/2 inch mark. Fold each piece of yarn in half and sew the fold to the sock. Pull the sock tight as you go slowly adding in yard mane pieces. Be sure to stretch and pull the sock as you sew. The halter should fall right on the back of the heel of the sock. Sew it into the mane. Stop sewing when you reach the ribs of the sock.
10. Add fiberfill until you get to the heel area of the sock. Then add in your Styrofoam ball.
14. Now lets add our lead rope. Tie on the suede cording to the key ring.
18. Cut ear shapes from brown felt.