This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
Make this fun bug craft with your kids and dress up your fridge. These simple bottle cap magnets are so cute and fun to make. Plus, you likely have the supplies at home already.
If you enjoy crafting as a family as we do, you’ll love these bottle cap magnets! This is a craft project that kids of almost any age will love. Plus, they are practical too—use them to load up your fridge with reminders and artwork!
Simple Craft for Kids: Bottle Cap Magnets
If you’re looking for a quick craft that the kids can make, this is it.
Making crafts with your kids is a great activity for many reasons because they spur creativity, boost skills, and create great memories for you and your kids. This adorable bug craft idea is no exception.
Crafts are also a great way to fill time and prevent boredom. Snow day? Check. Homework finished but they need something to do while you make dinner? Check.
Use this bottle cap magnet craft as a quick and easy way to fight off some that boredom and keep them busy while also having fun! I just love easy kids crafts that use things you probably already have around your home, don’t you?
All you need are some common supplies and a few minutes to create these colorful bottle cap magnets. So grab a few bottle caps and some paint and get started!
This one was first posted May 29, 2013; however, I’m republishing with more information to make this craft easier to follow.
How to Make Bug Bottle Cap Magnets
I don’t normally welcome bugs in my kitchen, but I can make an exception for these little critters! Their bright colors and googly eyes always makes my youngest giggle and that laughter is contagious. Make a batch and see for yourself!
Supplies Needed To Make Bottle Cap Magnets
- Paints (I’m using DecoArt paints, but any kind you have on hand will work)
- Bottle caps (you can recycle them from your bottles or buy them. Or, ask for some on your neighborhood forum!)
- Googly eyes
- Kid-friendly glue
How to Make This Bottle Cap Magnets Bug Craft
These step-by-step instructions will guide you through every part of the process to make these bug magnets. Have fun!
Step 1: Paint the Caps
Let the kids start by painting a few coats of paint onto the bottle caps. You want them to look like the image below.
There are 2 different ways to apporach the painting part of this project:
- You can coat the entire bottle cap with one color then add a second color over the bottom.
- Or you can leave the bottle cap unpainted and only paint the bottom.
Let your kids decide which look they prefer.
I like how they look with a solid part and a dotted part, but if you are making this with younger children you can forgo the solid area to make it easier to paint.
Once the painting is done, allow the caps to dry completely before continuing to the next step.
Step 2: Add Dots
Now have your kids use the opposite end of the paintbrush to make dots. Just dip your brush end in paint and add dots on your bugs. It’s an easy, relatively mess-free way to make great-looking dots!
The more dots you try to make with just one dip the smaller in size they get. Let them have fun with the dot sizes and the placement.
Step 3: Add Googly Eyes
Once your paint is dry, use glue to add two googly eyes to the front and a couple of magnets to the back. I had to add two magnets each because of the depth of the bottle cap.
Be sure to experiment with your magnets and test them on the fridge before gluing everything in place. Set aside and allow the glue to dry before using your new bottle cap magnets.
Final Thoughts About This Craft
This bug magnet project is one where your kids can probably do most of it themselves. They might need a little help with the gluing, so use your best judgment based on your kids’ ages and ability levels.
Projects like this one are a win-win! The kids will love looking at (and using) these bug magnets every day, and you’ll love entertaining them for a few hours while they make their bug crafts.
Go grab your supplies and make these bug magnet kids crafts today.
Then watch your refrigerator get covered in bottle cap magnets. If you get them enough supplies, that’s a likely scenario since these little bottle cap magnets are so easy and fun to make.
If you want even more ideas to keep the kids occupied and crafting, be sure to see all of our kids’ crafts here. I know you’ll find something that they will love!
I also shared an email series where you can get emails for 31 days with easy crafts to do at home. If you are looking for fun things to do, this is the only series you’ll need. Head here to sign up.
Don’t forget to get the supplies to make these bottle cap magnets!
Bottle Cap Magnets: Bug Crafts
- Let the kids start by painting a few coats of paint onto the bottle caps similar to the picture below. The line doesn't need to be perfect, so have fun with it! You can coat the entire bottle cap with one color then add a second color over the bottom. or leave the bottle cap unpainted and only paint the bottom. Let your kids pick wich way to do it. Allow these to dry completely before continuing.
- Using the opposite end of the paintbrush, let your kids dip the brush end in paint and add dots on their bugs. The more dots you try to make in between dip, the smaller each dot will be. Just let them have fun and experiment with the dots and the placement.Let paint dry completely.
- Use glue to add two googly eyes to the front of the bottle caps and a couple of magnets to the back. I had to add two magnets each because of the depth of the bottle cap. Double-check your magnets and test them on the fridge before gluing everything in place. One glued, set aside and allow the glue to dry before use.