Cat in the Hat activities are the perfect way to celebrate Read Across America Day. Make a Seuss bookmark with shrink plastic in minutes. You remember shrink plastic right? I am willing to bet that you made shrinky dinks when you were little. Well guess what….it is perfect for crafts now that you have grown up a bit as well. This project is also so easy that the kids can do it but don’t let them have all of the fun.
Supplies needed for these Cat in the Hat activities:
Links below may be affiliate links which means that you do not pay anymore however a portion of your purchase will go to support this site.
- Shrink Plastic in White
- Colored pencils
- Cat in the Hat book (or book of your choice)
- Hole punch
- Paper cutter
- Parchment paper
- Embroidery floss in red and white
You can actually see how to make this project in the video below. It is so easy that I thought I would just show you how!
Can’t watch the video or missed some of the steps? Try the step by step instructions below.
- Find a picture you would like to make into a bookmark. I used one from the Cat in the Hat book but any Dr. Seuss book or any book at all would work fine.
- Lay a sheet of the shrink plastic over the top of the image in the book.
- The trace your image with the colored pencils filling in any areas with color. NOTE: This will appear to be very light but will darken considerably once baked.
- Trim the bookmark to size with a paper cutter and/or scissors. Be sure to also punch a hole in the top of the bookmark before baking.
- Bake according to the package directions. TIP: Use a piece of parchment paper on the top and bottom to keep curling to a minimum.
- Once baked and shrunk, remove from the oven and then allow to cool.
- Add white and red embroidery floss to the top of your bookmark. TIP: Use a bit of tape on the end to help thread it through the hole.
- Your Dr. Seuss bookmark is ready for any book!
Try these Cat in the Hat activities to celebrate Read Across America Day with your kids. A quick and easy project that they will love to make.
You will love the professional look to these bookmarks as well. The shrinking makes the colors darken as well as the lines look even better. Grab some shrink plastic and get started on your own version today.
Love Cat in the Hat activities? Try these other links!
- Free Dr. Seuss Coloring Pages
- Printable Seuss Quote Bookmarks
- Free Printable Dr. Seuss Art
- Cat in the Hat Marshmallow Treats
- Dr. Seuss Crafts and Activities