You can easily paint hardware or metal handles for an instant change in any room! This is especially true with your kitchen cabinets whenever you want to spray paint them matte black or any other color.
If you are looking for a total makeover for your home, then be sure to read my full guide on painting kitchen cabinets!
Paint Your Own Door Handles
Learning how to paint your own kitchen hardware or metal handles is a true breeze because I walk you through every step that is needed. Switch up your kitchen with any color of spray paint–such as matte black, bronze, navy, etc.
This post may contain affiliate links.
- Sand Paper: I would recommend an 80 grit because it works the best.
- Good Quality Spray Paint: I love to use the Rustoleum Universal Paint and Primer in One spray paint because it is the best! Choose your own color. I like black because it looks clean and minimal.
- Sponge: Use any kind of sponge from the grocery store or online.
- Awl: Or any other pointed tool. This can be found at your local hardware store.
- Cardboard: You can use any old boxes you have lying around.
How to Paint Hardware for Your Kitchen
This step-by-step guide is super easy and quick! You will have kitchens that look brand new in no time.
I have been working on my kitchen for a while now. We have talked about countertop removal along with a few other things.
I decided to try and paint the kitchen hardware instead of just replacing the metal handles. Plus, I love an oil-rubbed bronze finish!
Start by removing them from your cabinet doors. Then you will need to clean and sand them really, really well.
Next, wipe down the knob with a scrub sponge to remove any dirt from the surface of the knobs or metal handles.
Use an awl or other pointed tool to get into the crevices of the knobs to remove any dirt.
Use the sandpaper to roughen up the surface of the entire knob. You will want to make sure you really roughen up the surface so the paint will stick to the knobs and last a while.
Your sanded knob should look like the one on the left.
Now for the fun part! Painting!
First, add the knobs to a piece of cardboard by using the screws that attach them to the cabinets. Put the screws through the cardboard so that the knob portion you need to paint sticks up on one side.
Next, use your spray paint to give an even coat over the entire surface of the hardware. Now, you need to allow the knobs to dry.
If you can, wait at least 24 hours before your even touch your knobs. Waiting 48 hours before adding them back to the cabinets is ideal.
You see, even when the spray paint is dry to the touch it will still need to harden and cure. Allowing this to happen for the maximum amount of time will ensure your success when you paint the hardware.
Finally, add the freshly painted kitchen knobs back to the doors and enjoy the new look! Step back to admire your work!
Stay tuned as later this week I am sharing my entire kitchen and you don’t want to miss it!
How to Use
Feel free to use this painted hardware for all types of cabinets such as in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc.
Love This Idea and Want More? Try the Links Below!
- Organizing Your Kitchen
- Kitchen Wall Storage
- The Best Way to Clean Kitchen Cabinets
- Farmhouse Kitchen Ideas
- Updating Door Hardware with Paint
Want to print the instructions for learning how to paint hardware? You can use the card below!
- 1 awl or other pointed tool
- sandpaper 80 grit
- spray paint matte black or another color; use a quality brand
- Wipe down the knob with the sponge to remove any dirt on the surface.
- Use the awl to clean out any additional dirt from the hardware.
- Roughen up the surface of the knob with sandpaper.
- Wash the knob until it is fully clean
- Paint the knobs with the spray paint in an even layer.
- Allow the knobs to dry for 24 to 48 hours.