I made this DIY acrylic calendar for organizing my daughter’s room. It turned out really great and I love the results. I thought I would share with y’all how to make your own version. The process is fairly simple but you will need some sort of craft cutter to make things easier.
Supplies needed to make your own DIY acrylic calendar:
Some links below may be affiliate links which means you do not pay anymore but a portion of your purchase will go to support this site.
- Plexiglass sheet (I used an 18″ x 24″)
- Silhouette (or other electronic craft cutter)
- Black vinyl (or another color of your choice)
- Weeding tool
- Transfer tape
- Drill and drill bit
- Metal spacers (optional)
- Metal washers (optional)
- Dry erase markers
- Calendar image file (see below for how to download for free)
You will need to start by cutting the vinyl with the calendar image. I am going to give you instructions on how to do so with your Silhouette below. Before you get started, download the calendar image using the form below. An email will be sent with instructions for downloading to your computer.
Open that file in your Silhouette software and select the trace option. Click select trace area and highlight the entire image. Move the “high pass filter” bar until everything is yellow.
Click trace then delete the original image. You are left with the lines of your calendar.
The image fits onto the 18×24 surface so it cannot be cut all at once as it is too large. To divide into multiple pieces, right click and then choose release compound path.
You can now choose groups of the cut lines and move them around. I cut my calendar in two pieces as shown below. Be careful to ensure that everything stays lined up when moving around the cut lines.
Now it is time to put that vinyl onto your plexiglass surface. I made a short video showing you just how I completed this. Watch below!
- Remove excess around cut vinyl. Use your weeding tool as needed. Be sure to remove centers of letters.
- Apply transfer tape to pieces and lift off.
- Splice the pieces of your calendar together by joining the pieces of transfer tape.
- Remove protective film from plexiglass.
- Apply vinyl to piece.
- Press firmly then slowly remove transfer tape.
- Remove protective film from back of plexiglass.
- Measure and mark for four holes in the corners.
- Use a drill and drill bit to slowly drill the holes.
Now it is time to mount your DIY acrylic calendar. I did not want mine flush to the wall so I used metal spacers and washers behind the calendar and put my screw through those and into the wall. This is completely optional but does give a cool effect.
Now you can use your dry erase markers to write in the details for the month and keep track of appointments. I just love the final project and I know you will as well. Get your supplies and make your own DIY acrylic calendar. Want more details on this desk space? Stay tuned! I will have a full reveal next week!
Need more ideas to organize your desk area? We have those for you as well!
Declutter Your Home in 31 Days!
Clear the clutter and organize your home with our daily emails! Every day for a month we will send you a prompt to declutter! Sign up for our email list below to get started.