Need something fun to do with the kids? Try our guides below on how to draw insects with fingerprints. Break out the stamp pads and start drawing all sorts of bugs in a mason jar. This fun craft idea is perfect for spending an afternoon creating with kids of all ages. Y’all enjoy!
- Stamp pads
- Free printable bug jar (click here to download and print)
How to Draw Insects:
Bee Instructions: (click here to print)
- Make a vertical (up and down) yellow thumbprint.
- Using your pointer finger make 4 fingerprint wings, two on each side.
- Draw, with a black Sharpie, a circle head on top of the yellow thumbprint.
- Add two antennas to the top of the head. At the bottom of the thumbprint, make a small ‘V’ shaped stinger.
- Draw some black stripes on the thumbprint.
- Add two eyes and a smile.
Butterfly Instructions: (click here to print)
- Make two horizontal (sideways) thumbprints in the color of your choice.
- Above (or below) that make two more thumbprints.
- Draw a long oval shape connecting all of the thumbprints together. This will be the butterfly’s body.
- At the end of the oval, draw a circle. This will be the butterfly’s head.
- Make a set of two antennas on top of the head.
- Draw a smile face on your butterfly.
Caterpillar Instructions: (click here to print)
- Make a vertical (up and down) thumbprint. This will be the caterpillar’s head.
- Follow behind with several vertical thumbprints to make the caterpillar’s body.
- Add two antenna to the first thumbprint.
- Draw two eyes and a smile on the first thumbprint.
- Make two feet on each of the body thumbprints.
Ladybug Instructions: (click here to print)
- Begin with a red thumbprint.
- Draw a black line across the thumbprint.
- Draw a vertical line off the first black line to form a ‘T’ shape.
- Then draw two little eyes.
- Make a pair of antennas.
- On the ‘T’ shape area, draw and color in black dots.
Spider Instructions: (click here to print)
- Make a horizontal (sideways) thumbprint in a gray or silver color. You can use black, but it is hard to draw on!
- Draw 8 spider legs, four on each side.
- Draw 2 eyes and a smile.
- If you would like, draw a long line to make your spider ‘hang’ from it’s web.
Snail Instructions: (click here to print)
- Make a thumbprint – horizontal or vertical it doesn’t matter which.
- Draw around the thumbprint, back down to form the tail and bring it up to make the long neck and head.
- Add a pair of antenna.
- Draw eyes and a mouth.
Now that you know how to draw insects, which ones will you add to your jar? Your kids are going to love these techniques and filling up their mason jar with their favorite bugs.
Love this and want more ideas? Try the links below!
- Magnetic Fishing Game
- Winnie the Pooh Marshmallow Pops
- Lego Activities Perfect for Kids
- Pool Noodle Games
- Ocean Theme Thumbprint Animals