Take your standard Dollar Store pool noodles and turn them into hours of fun for your kids! You can easily use them to make fun pool noodle games – here’s how.
Pool noodles are so versatile! You can use them for way more than just splashing around in the pool. I like to use pool noodles to make a wreath or create a whole new DIY pool float. They are just so multi-purposeful!
And, believe it or not, they’re a fabulous tool for fun in the backyard too. Pool noodle games are great for inexpensive summer fun. We felt inspired to take our noodles and create an obstacle course – which was a TON of fun!
You can set up your own version in your yard in just minutes. Then, have a competition to see who can kick the ball through the course. Or, hold an impromtu soccer practice!
Supplies Needed To Make Pool Noodle Games
Here is a list of supplies needed to make these fun backyard games for your kids:
- Pool noodles
- PVC pipe, wood dowel, or anything else to stick in the ground
How To Make Your Own Backyard Pool Noodle Games
All you need to have a lot of fun with pool noodles is a little bit of creativity. If you’re feeling low on creativity, I’ve got you covered with this simple guide to creating your own games to play with pool noodles.
Just put pieces of pipe or wood dowels into the ground in two places. Make them as far apart or as close together as you would like. They just need to stick up about 4 inches.
Add the pool noodles over them and you have created a fun goal. The pipe or dowel should fit right into the hole in the middle of the pool noodle.
Keep adding them to your yard in as many places as you would like. You can have just a couple or create a full-fledged obstacle course!
Safety Note: Do not leave the pipes or dowels sticking out of the ground without the pool noodles on top. Remove immediately if you are done with play. You don’t want anyone falling onto these sticks in the ground (or tripping over them)!
Ideas For Having Backyard Fun With Pool Noodles
Use this simple idea to set up a huge variety of pool noodle games in your yard. Here are a few ideas for ways to use them for different games.
- Kick a ball through the goals.
- Play croquet.
- Make an obstacle course that sends your kids under, over, and around your noodles.
- Stand up 2 pool noodles and create rings out of 3 pool noodles. Stack the rings on top of each other in between to use them as a bean bag toss.
- Spread out your dowels in the ground and out short-cut pool noodles over them. Make small rings with your remaining pool noodle and play a game of ring toss.
- You can invent your own fun game with these easy and inexpensive goals too.
No matter what backyard pool noodle games you choose to play, your kids will love getting outside and staying active this summer. Keeping several ideas like this on hand will make it so that you never have to hear the dreaded words “I’m bored” during the summer months.
Good luck and have a great summer!
More Summer Fun:
Love this and want more summer fun ideas? We have many more ideas to check out.
- Summer Fun Idea Jar
- Flat Stanley Adventures
- Summer Craft Ideas
- Summer Camp Crafts
- Plus, More Summer Boredom Busters For Kids!
- pool noodles
- stick, wooden dowel, or PVC pipe to stick in the ground
- Push your wood dowels (or other stick-type materials) into the ground in two places. Make them as far apart or as close together as you want them to be, leaving them sticking out about 4 inches.
- Add the pool noodles over them to create a fun goal. The pipe or dowel should fit right into the hole in the middle of the pool noodle.
- Repeat the process to keep adding them to your yard in as many places as you would like.