This DIY sandbox with a lid is so easy to make and fun for the littles! The perfect addition to your backyard, this plastic sandbox is a cheap alternative to an expensive traditional sandbox. Simple and stress-free, you will love this summer and springtime craft!
Have some leftover sand from this DIY sandbox? Check out these beach mason jars for another fun and simple activity!
Make Your Own DIY Sandbox
This sandbox with a cover is the perfect addition to your porch. The kids will love how fun it is to play in this sandpit with their toys or bare hands. Need a way to entertain the littles? This sensory-friendly activity is a keeper!
- Lidded plastic bin: Make sure to find a bin with a lid so you can store it when it’s not in use! The lid will keep the weather and creatures out of the sand.
- Sand: All you need is one to two bags of sand for this sandbox! I used one bag. You can find sand at your local hardware or craft store.
- Sand toys: Toys like trucks, cars, beach toys, buckets, animal figures, or marine toys would be great for this DIY sandbox.
Note: Grab any sized plastic bin you prefer. I chose one that was fairly flat, and the ones intended for storage under the bed would be perfect. You can even use the long and skinny kind.
How to Make Your Own DIY Sandbox
This sandbox with a lid is so easy to make! Perfect for when it’s hot outside and you don’t want a lot of extra work– DIY sandbox requires little effort. Don’t forget the toys!
First, grab your container and take the lid off. Then, pour the sand into the container.
Next, place the toys in the sandbox and prepare to have fun! When finished playing with the sandbox, simply place the lid on the box and store in a dry place.
How to Use
This sandbox is perfect for any outdoor activity in the backyard or on the porch. Another great thing about this DIY sandbox is that you can bring it inside for some indoor fun! The kids will love this fun activity, and it will truly put smiles on their faces!
Love This Idea for a DIY Sandbox and Want More? Click the Links Below!
- Cool Summer Crafts
- Boredom Busters for Summer
- Frisbee from Paper Plates
- Paper Plate Kite
- DIY Sidewalk Chalk Paint
Want to print the instructions for this DIY sandbox with a lid? You can use the card below!
- 1 storage box any size
- 1-2 bags sand
- First, grab your container and take the lid off. Then, pour the sand into the container.
- Next, place the toys in the sandbox and prepare to have fun! When finished playing with the sandbox, simply place the lid on the box and store in a dry place.
We did that for a wading pool one summer. I used an under bed storage box so it was fairly big. We actually use a plastic wading pool with small holes in the bottom for drainage and a tarp for a sand box and cover. Lidded sandboxes are ridiculously expensive! Never thought about just using a plastic box. Great idea!
Perfect for small spaces or Grandmas house. You can have a sand play area and it doesn’t take up alot of space.
A great idea to keep all the sand contained while allowing the little one all the fun he wants.