I grabbed some burlap and made some super fun scarecrow DIY Halloween treat bags. These are perfect to whip up for school Halloween parties! I used fabric glue so there is no sewing required on these. Yes, that is a win-win y’all! Get started on this fun craft idea with your kids today. They will love helping with this project and being proud when handing out these goodie bags this year.
This one was first published on October 16, 2015, however, I am republishing with more information.
- Burlap fabric
- Fabric glue (Fabric Fusion works great for this)
- Googly eyes
- Black dimensional paint (try the Tulip Slick)
How to Make DIY Halloween Treat Bags:
Now that you have all of your supplies, it is time to make some cute treat bags that your kids will love. The instructions are simple and you will have several of these cute bags in minutes. Just be sure to allow for drying time and follow all of the instructions in the card below.
- Cut your burlap into 5 x 8 inch rectangular pieces with scissors. You can change the size of these if you wish but I find that this size works well.
- Use fabric glue to secure the bag. You will want to fold the long edge to meet in the back then glue the bottom of the bag as well as the seam in the back. Allow this to dry. NOTE: Be sure that the bag is not glued shut while drying!
- Add eyes and a felt nose with fabric glue. Cut the felt nose with scissors into a triangle shape. Then draw on a mouth with the dimensional paint. This paint will need to dry overnight.
- Finish off the treat bags with a little raffia bow on the bottom. Add in your candy and secure the top with additional raffia. Your cute little treat bags are complete and ready for those little ones.
You can fill your DIY Halloween treat bags with whatever candy that you would like. I like adding more raffia to the top to close the bags but you could definitely leave them open as well. Be aware that the top will fray. You can use a product like fray check if you are worried about it along that top edge.
Using These Halloween Goodie Bags
Make these cute bags for trick-or-treaters, Halloween parties, dropping on the neighbor’s porch, and so much more. In fact, we have tips for making your own boo bags that you can use as well. I could also see making these a part of a Halloween candy scavenger hunt. No matter how you are celebrating Halloween this year, I think there is a place for this cute craft idea in your plans.
Letting the Kids Help
This is also a great project for the kids to help with. They can actually make these all by themselves as there is no hot glue involved. If you have younger kids, you might want to operate the black paint on your own or use a different method to make a mouth. Otherwise, turn them look to make their own DIY Halloween treat bags. A cute craft that the entire family will love to make.