This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
Add a touch of flair to your decor with a modern farmhouse wall art project that you can make in under 15 minutes. This felt leaves hanging craft can be made easily – without a Cricut machine!
I tend to share quite a few Cricut tutorials with you, but wanted to share a cute project that you could make even if you don’t own one!
This farmhouse-style felt leaves hoop art will look great on your wall or you can use it as a non-traditional wreath. Either way, you are sure to love how quickly and easily it comes together!
This post is sponsored by DecoArt, however all projects and opinions are my own.
This post was part of Craft Lightning where we shared 15-minute felt crafts all week. If you love felt crafts, check out more than 40 other wonderful felt craft ideas from some of my favorite crafters!
Supplies Needed to Make This Felt Leaves Modern Farmhouse Wall Art
- Americana Decor Chalky Finish in Carbon
- White fabric
- Embroidery hoop (8 inches)
- Hello printed on copy paper (click here to get the file)
- Felt leaves (you can buy them pre-cut or cut yourself from felt sheets) (about 30 total)
- Hot glue and glue gun
- Clothespins (optional but makes project faster)
- Craft knife
How to Make This Hanging Farmhouse Craft
Use these step-by-step instructions to make this craft yourself!
Start by painting the “hello” onto the white fabric. Print out the word on copy paper (click here to get the file).
Be sure the fabric is free from wrinkles before beginning. Then place the printed word art behind the fabric and hold it up to a light source. Trace around it with a pencil.
It is easiest to do this against a window. I actually used my Cricut BrightPad (see more about it here) however this is completely optional.
Next, fill in your letters with a paintbrush and some Americana Decor Chalky Finish in Carbon.
- Make sure to stay within your lines.
- Use two coats if needed.
- I also took a smaller brush and cleaned up my edges a bit with additional paint.
While your paint dries, you can get started on your leaves. First of all, you need some felt leaves to complete this project. You can get those a few different ways:
- Buy some pre-cut felt leaves from a craft store. This option will definitely allow you to make this craft quickly but may be more expensive.
- You can hand-cut the leaves with scissors as the shape is super basic. Please note, however, that the project will probably take you over 15 minutes if you choose this option.
- I know I said that you can do this entire project without a Cricut, and you totally can! However, you can cut these leaves with Cricut if you have one! Click here to get the cut file for those.
Then you will need to use a drop of hot glue in the center of one end of the leaves and pinch together as shown below.
TIP: Make this go quicker by using clothespins to hold this closed while your glue dries. That way your hands will be free to hot glue more leaves.
Once the hello word art is dry, add it to your embroidery hoop and stretch it tight.
Then flip around to the back and use a craft knife to trim the fabric as close as possible to the edge of your embroidery hoop.
So now you have a hoop and a bunch of leaves. It’s time to complete your modern farmhouse wall art.
Start using hot glue to layer on as many of those leaves as you would like around the edges.
You can go all the way around or stop short as I did. The way you make your hoop art is completely up to you. Once your leaves are done, so is your project!
So, will you be making your own wall hanging craft for your home…or perhaps as a gift for someone?
I love how this project turned out and it’s currently hanging in my kitchen.
You can mix things up and choose different words or perhaps make felt flowers for around the edges. Use your imagination and create something entirely your own!
Felt Leaves Hanging Craft
- hot glue and glue gun
- Print out the word "hello" onto copy paper.
- Take your fabric, making sure it's wrinkle-free, and put it on top of the printed copy paper. Hold both up against light so that you can trace the word "hello" with your pencil onto the fabric.
- Take your paintbrush and paint and paint in the word on the fabric, staying in between the lines. Use two coats if needed, and you can also use a small brush to clean up the edges with a little additional paint.
- Get started on your leaves while your paint dries. Use a drop of hot glue in the center of one end of the leaves and pinch together. Use clothespins to hold the leaves while the glue dries so that your hands are free.
- Once the hello word art is dry, put it into your embroidery hoop and stretch it tight. Then flip around to the back and use a craft knife to trim the fabric as close as you can to the edge of your embroidery hoop.
- Start using hot glue to layer on as many of those leaves as you would like around the edges.
- Buy some pre-cut felt leaves from a craft store, saving you time but costing more money.
- Hand-cut the leaves with scissors as the shape is very basic. Doing this option will likely take you longer than 15 minutes.
- You can cut out the leaves with your Cricut, if you have one! You can click here to get the cut file for those.
Love This Modern Farmhouse Wall Art and Want More Quick Felt Crafts?
- Felt Crafts: Over 40 Felt Craft Ideas to Make Today!
- Fall Felt Leaf Garland
- Felt Christmas Decorations: DIY These Cute Trees