How to Spray Paint your Light Fixtures with #GELighting #cbias @socialfabric

My kitchen light fixture needed to get out of the 80s y’all.  So I broke out some spray paint on it over the long weekend.  Are you ready to learn how to spray paint your light fixtures?  Plus a bonus on how to make some lighting changes in your home to save some money?  Sounds pretty good huh?  Let’s get started!
I have used this same painting method on some fixtures in my bathroom over a year ago.  So I know the method works plus it stays put and looks great for the long haul.  First I headed to Walmart for my light bulbs and spray paint.  Do you want to see the details of my entire shopping trip?  Head on over to my google plus album to learn all about it.  I weighed my alternatives in the lighting aisle and decided to go for all energy efficient light bulbs from GE.  What does energy efficient bulbs get you?  Check out this savings calculator and calculate your savings.  Just by replacing four bulbs this time around, my savings is projected to be $26.28 per year.  Sounds great right?  I suggest trying out some bulbs in your home to get a feel of which is right for you.  Will you like CFL or LED and what do those mean exactly?  Check out the GELighting website for the low down and to help narrow down your options.
Now on with my makeover!  First we took down the old fixture.  Just for y’all I am going to keep it real.  It was NASTY!  Ick…

These were the bulbs we are replacing.  So I am getting rid of 4 standard bulbs in this makeover.

Next you will need to dismantle your fixture and clean each piece really well.

Now comes the fun part…okay it is the not so fun part but it is necessary.  Sand each are very, very well.  Then wash the entire fixture really well again.

When you are sick of sanding and washing, do it some more.  :)  That part is important so take your time.  Then mask off any areas you do not want painted.

Begin by spraying the entire fixture with primer meant for metal.
Then break out your final color.  I went with antique brass by Rustoleum.

Spray your entire fixture with at least two coats.  Then let it dry and cure as long as possible.  Yes it is dry to touch quickly but the paint has not fully cured and hardened.  I would recommend at least over night…longer if you can wait.  Then hang it back up and ooooh and aaaaah over your great new finish.

We shortened the chain and wire when hanging it back up.  Then I made a chain cover.  This is literally a scrap of fabric and some hot glue.  No one is going to be climbing up there to critique your workmanship.  Make it easy and simple.

The changes in our kitchen are amazing.  Just with a few lighting changes it looks like a completely different room.

I also made a new table runner.  I will give y’all the details on it tomorrow night.  This post is getting super long!

I love that darker splash on the ceiling.  Perfect for our home.  I wish I had a couple of weeks to change up every fixture in our home.  For now, it will be baby steps….

Wondering what those swirly bulbs look like in my fixture?  Here is a close up for you.  The swirly look does not bother my in the least.

However, GE also has energy efficient options that would look more like a classic bulb.  Head to Walmart and scope out your options.  You can of course catch up with GE on twitter or facebook and ask some questions.

You can check out the video below to learn even more about GE Lighting.

For now, I am going to enjoy my new lighting and my energy savings.  I hope to makeover even more fixtures in the future..so y’all stay tuned!

I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and GE. #CBias #SocialFabric  All projects and opinions are mine.

Love this post?  Be sure to subscribe to THE COUNTRY CHIC COTTAGE so you don’t miss a thing!
Want even more ideas for spray paint projects?  Check out my spray paint project gallery for tons of information and ideas.

Angie
CCC on FacebookCCC on TwitterCCC on PinterestCCC on Google PlusCCC on Stumble UponCCC rss feedCCC rss feed

Comments

Love the look of the updated fixture! I just tried the GE bulbs too, it’s amazing the difference they make and the money you can save.

-Erin @ DIY On the Cheap

Great post! I was thinking of making over my front hallway fixture- now I won’t be so afraid to paint it! What kind of sandpaper or grit did you use?

We have that exact lighting fixture in our kitchen. I have thought about painting it a bunch of times, but now we’re moving…. so I will leave it for the next folks. :P

Okay, confession. I have NEVER sanded (nor thought to sand) a chandelier before spray painting it! Thank you so much for that little tip. The room looks amazing with the spray painted fixture, and I love that fabric cover.

I never realized how much you could save with CFLs! I tried the GE bulbs recently too, and it’s awesome. Great post!

Gorgeous transformation Angie! What a difference!! Too funny, but I just went to Walmart and I had CFL’s on my list, but I forgot to buy them! So thanks for the coupon, I can use it when I go back!

I have been looking for just the right color spray paint for my fall wedding centerpiece lanterns and I think this is it! Thank you so so so so much. You did such a great job.

We have lights very similar, but ours are (scratch that) were white. I wonder if we’d have to do the sandpaper and primer? What do you think? I’d like for both of our fixtures in the kitchen to match and this would be a a great way to accomplish this! Found you via Pinterest. Glad you posted this!

Great job, the room looks great. I just did two of these that I found at thrift stores. I did one in brushed nickel and one in oil rubbed bronze. I used Rustoleum Metellic primer and paint in one. Great stuff.

9. Amanda says

I really like your style and creative nature. Have you thought about replacing your kitchen light shades with large canning jars? It seems like it would “go” with your style and be a little more farmhouse chic than the old 80s glass. It might contrast the new paint well too. I did a similar project with my pendant lights in my kitchen that were a bit plain. The jars are really creative. People comment on them often. It’s is so easy. It took me about 30 minutes to make two, including gathering supplies, and I messed up once. You just need large canning jars, screw lids, and the metal lid insert. Measure your hole for your light. Cut the hole with metal snips and replace the old shade with your new one. I didn’t put holes for heat and they’ve been up for over a year. No issues. You can poke a few holes in the metal, if you are worried. I do use small, round bulbs or edison bulbs work too. This project was free to me as I can and we have a lot of tools, but shouldn’t cost much if you shop around for the jars (maybe craigslist, yard sales). The lids are very inexpensive.

• Amanda says

Sorry, just thought another option might be to remove the shades all together and replace it with edison bulbs. It would look “industrial chic”.

Trackbacks