DIY Map Coasters

I love maps y’all.  Love, love, love.  I decided to put some maps on coasters for my living room.  These are super easy so break out your Mod Podge and follow along.

DIY Map Coasters

You will need Mod Podge (I actually used the outdoor version even though that is NOT what is pictured), maps, and tiles.  I actually had painted some tiles with a monogram many years ago and they had seen better days.  So I revamped those instead of buying new tiles.  The tiles were originally from the flooring section at Lowe’s.  I also added self adhesive felt
to the bottoms so they would not scratch my tables.

Trace around your coasters onto the maps and cut your maps to size.

Something I just recently learned that has ROCKED my Mod Podge world…before you begin your Mod Podge project, apply a layer of Mod Podge to the BACK of your paper and allow to dry.  This has basically solved all wrinkling issues that I have had in the past with podge projects.

After that dries, add a layer of Mod Podge to the tile itself and adhere your map to it.

After that dries, apply about 3 layers of Mod Podge to the top of your coasters allowing them to fully dry between each coat.  I finally got a picture with the Outdoor Mod Podge in it…sigh.  I think this will hold up better since it is meant to be able to hold up to water.  I allowed my coasters to cure for 48-72 hours before using.

DIY Map Coasters

DIY Map Coasters

Now a little about the maps I chose.  I basically started with a map of North America.

Then I “zoomed in” a little more to the United States.

Then I “zoomed in” a little more to the state level.

Then I “zoomed in” to the county level.  A little geography lesson while you are enjoying your drinks in the living room!

So there you have it!  My little spin on the map coasters!

Posted to the Best Projects of July on Beneath my Heart and the DIY gift party on Pretty Handy Girl.
~Thanks for stopping by!~
~Angie~

Comments

Thanks for sharing, love the idea! I’m thinking of doing a class of this. Question, how much Mod Podge would you suggest if about 10 people sign up for the craft?

Thanks!

These are great! I’ve recently discovered mod podge. And it’s awesome. Thanks for the tip about wrinkle free paper, and for sharing your wonderful tutorial.

Linda @ Mixed Kreations.

Hi Angie, Cool project! I haven’t used that outdoor MP yet… I want to try it! Great tip on that first coat on the back. I had never heard that before. Hope you are enjoying your long weekend! xo Malia

Looks great just one question.. What kind of paper are your maps printed on? Gloss, regular, recycled? Just curious if the glue works with all paper types… Thanks!

Thanks Angie! Can’t wait to try this.. Already have cork coasters AND placemats! Making them for my sister as a house-warming gift, our family is all over North America so it will be personalized to where is sentimental ;) Do you think I could print maps out on to stock card paper or even good quality printer paper? Thanks so much!

~Sara

Absolutely Sara! Be sure to let the ink dry really well before starting with the Mod Podge and it should be fine. My tip: after the ink dries — spray the top of the paper with aerosol hair spray and allow to dry. That will help set the ink.

Thank you so much for your quick replies! You are so smart and creative! Cannot wait to try this. Might make some tile coasters too with printed designs off the internet and something other than maps!… Great tips and awesome website!

I see tons of beautiful handmade coasters, but none of ever absorbent. when u pick the glass up, water either drips or coaster is still attached to the glass. I want instructions on some absorbent ones. these are gorgeous, but I am afraid won’t work.

9. Tara says

I found your post via Pinterest. I know you wrote this awhile ago but do you remember what website you used to print the maps? I am hoping to find some that don’t say MapQuest or Google Maps on every image. Thank you!

10. gina says

Can you use printed maps from the internet or do they have to be an actual store bought map? Ive used mod podge before and was told not to use a printed version cause the ink leaks, is that the case here?

• says

Yes it does have a tendency for the ink to run. Make sure to let it dry completely and you can spray with aerosol hair spray to set the ink. Then use Mod Podge on top.

Trackbacks