25 Tips for Naturally Cleaning with Vinegar #HeinzVinegar #cbias

I have changed my cleaning habits over the last 2 years to avoid harsh chemicals.  One thing I have learned is that vinegar is a wonderful natural cleaner.  Heinz has a new cleaning vinegar product that I am really excited about.  It initiated a reminder that I have never given any tips on this blog for natural cleaning with vinegar.  So I made y’all a list of my top 25 tips for naturally cleaning with vinegar.
If you have missed any of our series, check out the ways to clean with vinegarcream of tartarperoxidesteambaking sodalemoncorn starchsalt and rubbing alcohol.

Before we get started, some background information.  White distilled vinegar is a natural bacteria and germ killer just due to the acidity.  It is environmentally friendly and very economical.  The new Heinz Cleaning Vinegar product should be available at your local Walmart store in the vinegar section.  Check out where I found it plus many more pictures in my google plus album.

Heinz cleaning vinegar is 6% acidic where as regular vinegar is only 5% acidic.  This makes it even BETTER for cleaning then the regular white distilled vinegar products.

Now onto my top 25 tips for green cleaning with vinegar.

1. Counter tops – clean with a rag and vinegar.
  2. Drain or garbage disposal – pour in 1 cup baking soda then one cup hot vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes.  Run hot water down the drain.  (Note: some garbage disposals do not react well to this cleaning method check all manufacturer instructions first.)
  3. Microwave –  mixing equal parts vinegar and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a boil inside the microwave. Wipe clean.
  4. Refrigerator – clean with a half-and-half solution of water and vinegar.
  5. Dishwasher –  pour a cup of vinegar inside an empty machine and run through cycle.
  6. Plastic food containers –  wipe them with a cloth dampened with vinegar to remove stains and smells.
  7. Lunch Box – place inside a slice of bread that has been soaked in vinegar and leave overnight to remove odors.
  8. Glass – remove film from the inside by letting vinegar sit in them for a few hours. Add a little rice or sand and shake vigorously to loosen stubborn stains. Repeat if necessary.
  9. Mini Blinds –  Dip gloved fingers into a solution of equal parts vinegar and warm tap water.  Run your fingers across both sides of each blind.
  10. Tarnished Metal –  make a paste with equal amounts of vinegar and table salt.
  11. Greaseuse a sponge soaked in  vinegar.
  12. Grill – spray a solution of half water and half vinegar on the cooking surface.
  13. Sponges – placing in just enough water to cover them. Then add 1/4 cup vinegar. Let soak overnight.
  14. Grout – let full-strength vinegar sit on it for a few minutes and scrub it with an old toothbrush.
  15. Germs – spray with full-strength vinegar. Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
  16. Mildew and soap scum – wipe with undiluted vinegar then rinse.
  17. Toilets – pour in a cup or more of vinegar and let it sit several hours or overnight. Scrub well with the toilet brush and flush.
  18. Stale odors –  wiping down with undiluted vinegar on a rag.
  19. Wood – remove water rings with a solution of equal parts vinegar and vegetable oil. Rub with the grain.
  20. Scissors – clean off sticky residue with a cloth dipped in vinegar.
  21. Odors – place a bowl of vinegar in the room overnight.
  22. Hands – Wipe your hands with vinegar to remove strong scents like onion and garlic, as well as stains from fruit juices.
  23. Cutting boards – wipe wooden boards with vinegar.
  24. Dusting – use spray bottle filled with half vinegar, half water and lightly spray a rag to dust all surfaces.
  25. Mildew – spray shower walls and shower curtain with half vinegar and half water to help prevent mildew.

A few precautions when working with vinegar:

• Do not add vinegar directly to materials containing ammonia as this could produce harmful vapors.
  • Never use white distilled vinegar on marble. The acid can damage the surface.
As always please test your surfaces in an inconspicuous area before cleaning.  As a little demonstration, I decided to show y’all the power of vinegar in my kitchen.  I have tile counter tops that I hate but that I have to live with.

The grout gets disgusting.  This is keeping it real y’all.

I soaked the area in vinegar and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.  I then wiped off the area and scrubbed on the grout lines a little with a scrub sponge.

Oh so much better!  Now they actually look like you would want to prepare food here!

I hope that helps y’all to see just what vinegar can do for you — naturally!  No need to worry about harsh chemicals when you clean with all natural vinegar.

Do y’all use vinegar to clean?  Have you tried the new Heinz Cleaning Vinegar?

I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study forCollective Bias™ and HEINZ #CBias #SocialFabric”
Love this post?  Be sure to subscribe to THE COUNTRY CHIC COTTAGE so you don’t miss a thing!
For more cleaning and organizing printables see our list of over 50 free cleaning and organizing printables.

Comments

I learned how to clean with vinegar from watching me mom doing it when I was a child. Vinegar is a cheap, wonderful way to save money and still have a clean home. I am soooo using that grout tip.

Pour vinegar into your washing machine and run a cycle on hot to clean out the hoses and drains. Also for your sparkling counter top…get a sheet of plexiglass and cut it to fit your counter tops. No more build up then.

Add vinegar to your washing machine and run a hot cycle to clean the washers hoses and drains. If you cut a sheet of plexiglass to fit your counters you will have a smooth counter and still see the tiles below. Much easier to clean than that grout.

You should try half a cup of baking soda in toilet then put a cup of vinegar in.it well foam and clean all at one time. Make sure you sprinkle the baking soda on the porcelain and vinegar too.

I use it as an air freshener mix half vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray where freshening is needed. hen the vinegar smell is gone so are the odors without perfumes. If you want something that smells good add an essential oil.

I fill a spray bottle with half vinegar that’s been heated (and cooled) and half Dawn. Shake to mix and use it to clean your showers, tubs, and sinks!! I love it!!

I soak in white vinegar my bronze kitchen burners for about 20 minutes. After that, I lightly brush away with a sponge and they shine like new. You know the vinegar did the job because when you discard it, it turned turquoise.

im curious… how are apple cider vinegar, white distilled vinegar and now cleaning vinegar different from each other? would any of them do the cleaning jobs as well as the other vinegars?? balsamic vinegar…etc?

Cleaning vinegar is just stronger then white distilled vinegar but they are the same thing. I would not use apple cider vinegar or balsamic for most cleaning jobs due to the color of the vinegar and staining issues.

10. Jean says

I wrap a paper towel at the base of the bathroom faucet pour enough vinegar to soak the paper towel and let it sit overnight. Lift off in the morning along with the gunk and discard

11. Astrid says

As an addition to the toilet cleaning, after soaking with vinegar add a spoon of baking soda. You’d be amazed what bubbles up from around the bend where you can’t get to with the brush.

12. Carol L says

Re #5 Dishwasher: Ever wonder if chemicals in rinse agents leave invisible residue? I did and stopped using it. Instead I fill reservoir with white vinegar! While I cannot see fill level, I add to point of overflow and refill at end of each week (depending on # of loads). Dishes come out squeaky clean, dishwasher insides look great and I save $$$$$. WIN!

My fav uses for vinegar is putting a cup of vinegar in your washing machine when washing musky smelling things such as towels, socks and underwear. I put it straight in with the load and it doesn’t leave a vinegar residue smell on the clothes at all.
    The other way I love to use it is use it in place of the Jet Dry stuff that goes in the dishwasher to help dry dishes n keep the dishes from spotting. It smells a bit vinegary as the load is drying, (if you stand right above the dishwasher) but goes away when the load is done. The dishwasher stays smelling clean too.
    I don’t like the smell of vinegar, so those are the ways I use it that you can’t really smell it. For cleaning I would use your vinegar recipes, but use rubbing alcohol in place of the vinegar n I usually add an essential oil with the alcohol n water all-purpose cleaner to help it smell even better.
    Love your ideas!

14. Meghan says

Vinegar is also an excellent deodorizer- works fantastically on pet odors of ANY type; I also use it in the washer when doing pet laundry.

Trackbacks