This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
This summer your home may need a DIY wooden American flag. Guess what? They are so easy to make and so inexpensive! I actually had everything on hand that I needed to make my version. Free is definitely the right price for me! Grab a scrap piece of plywood and make your own version using our instructions below. You are sure to love the results.
This one was originally posted on June 4, 2012 but I am republishing with more information.
Supplies needed to make your own wooden American flag:
- Plywood (my piece was about 2 foot by 3 1/2 foot as it was a scrap)
- Craft paint in red, white, and blue (be sure to use outdoor paint if you are going to use outdoors)
- Foam roller (optional)
- Paint pen
- Cricut machine (click here to see which one I like best)
- White cardstock
- Wood stain
How to Make a Wooden American Flag:
Painting the Flag:
First, paint the entire board white. I have a super easy secret weapon. I just discovered these fancy bottle tops from Plaid. They are available in the craft section at Walmart.
Distressing the Wooden American Flag for a Rustic Appearance:
DIY Distressed Wooden American Flag
Painting the Flag:
- First, paint the entire board white. I have a super easy secret weapon. I just discovered these fancy bottle tops from Plaid. They are available in the craft section at Walmart. Just screw it onto your paint bottle and you have a paint roller! I covered this board in no time flat using this little trick!
- I did one coat of paint on the plywood. Yes, there were still some poorly covered areas. It will help later with our rustic look. Allow this to dry completely before continuing.
- Do some measurements and come up with a layout that will work then draw it on the wood in pencil.
- Then use your Cricut machine to cut a couple of rows of stars out of white card stock to use as a stencil. You can actually just cut out a couple of rows and repeat those to fill your space. Then just use your template to draw fifty stars into the upper left-hand rectangle. Again, the placement was developed by measuring.
- Here is a little hack for making the perfect DIY wooden American flag: trace your lines with an Elmer's Paint Marker. This gives you have tons more control over your lines and you don't have to be as steady with a paintbrush.
- After you finish, you have broader lines that are easy to paint around with a brush.
- Then just take your brush and fill in the white areas. Remember, we are going to be making this rustic so areas of light paint are okay.
- Painted your red stripes on your DIY wooden American flag with a brush. Then you can do some sanding.
Distressing for a Rustic Appearance:
- Break out some ROUGH sandpaper. I used 60 grit. Sand until you get bare spots. Make it look as rustic as you like.
- But those sanded areas don't look very "worn" or "old"? We are going to make them look that way! Mix equal parts water-based stain and water in a disposable bowl. Also, grab an old paint brush.
- Cover small areas with your stain mixture then wipe it right off with a rag.
- Use the stain mixture over the entire thing then let it dry. Your DIY wooden American flag is now ready! I would recommend if you are using this one outside, seal with a clear sealer to be on the safe side.
Love this DIY wooden American flag and want more ideas? Try the links below!
- Large Wooden Star: A Patriotic DIY
- Rustic Wood Flag You Can Make From Scraps
- BBQ Party Ideas: Buffet Condiment Holder
- Uncle Sam Decorations from Scrap Wood
- Patriotic SVG: 15 Free Files for Your Crafts
New to Cricut?
Sign up for our email list here to download the Beginner's Guide to Cricut Design Space for FREE today!
Sign up to get the guide emailed to you!