Did you know that you can make your own mosquito repellent candles right at home? And it is actually easy y’all! Just follow along below to get the instructions, use this recipe all summer long, and say goodbye to pricy citronella candles.
These mosquito repellent candles are part of Summer in Jars Week, where we are sharing jar ideas all summer long! If you have missed any of the fun, be sure to catch up with day 1 and day 2. You will also want to scroll down to the bottom of this post to see the jar craft ideas for today from the other bloggers in this series.
Make Your Own Mosquito Repellent Candles
Did you know you probably have most of the ingredients for these mosquito repellent candles already in your home? Yep! Not only are these candles super easy to make, but the supplies and ingredients are also pretty simple.
Some links above may be affiliate links, which means you do not pay any more.
How to Make Mosquito Repellent Candles
All you need for this DIY candle project is a few basic supplies and 10 minutes of your day. To make things even easier, I decided to make a quick video showing exactly how to make mosquito repellent candles. Watch below!
Can’t watch the video or missed some of the steps? I’ve got you covered. You can follow these instructions below or scroll to the bottom of the post for a printable how-to card.
- First slice one lemon and one lime (this will be enough for two candles).
- Then add a couple of slices of lemon and lime to the jar.
- Next add a couple of sprigs of basil.
- Then fill jar with water up to threads.
- After that, add in 10 – 15 drops of lemongrass oil.
- Now stir.
- Then add in floating candle.
- Finally, light the candle and enjoy a pest free summer!
Why make mosquito repellent candles?
Not only do these easy homemade mosquito repellent candles make beautiful outdoor decorations, but they are also super functional! I don’t know about you, but as much as I love spending time outdoors, I also hate mosquitos just as much. Making your own mosquito repellent candles will save you dollars on citronella products (that may or may not work). Instead, just make your own! They’re pretty, quick, and will keep away the mosquitoes and other bugs from your summer parties. You have to love that!
Now I promised you even more summer in a jar ideas. You just have to click the links below to be taken to those!
Just in case you are curious, I have also created a quiz so you can find out what type of mason jar you are! This is just for fun but might give you some great ideas for jars to use in your own crafts. Take the quiz below!
Love this idea for DIY candles and want more? Try the links below as well!
- How to Make Beeswax Candles in a Jar
- Photo Transfer Candles
- Marbling with Acrylic Paint on Candles
- DIY Candle Holders that Look Like Pottery Barn
- Easy Paper Candle Wraps
Want to print the instructions for making mosquito repellent candles? You can use the card below!
- Pint mason jars
- Floating candles
- Lemongrass essential oil
- Slice one lemon and one lime (this will be enough for two candles).
- Add a couple of slices of lemon and lime to the jar.
- Add a couple of sprigs of basil.
- Fill jar with water up to threads.
- Add in 10-15 drops of lemongrass oil.
- Add in floating candle.
- Light the candle and enjoy a pest-free summer!