Make a mason-jar-shaped garden flag from burlap. These garden flags are super easy to make and to personalize with your own message or monogram. Fly this flag to welcome visitors to your home! Perfect for summer!
Actually, I made a similar version of this flag with a monogram. You can see that tutorial here. Both of the flags were simple to make and required only a few supplies.
I used basically the same process this time. The other version stayed outside for months without too much fading, so I know this method works and will create beautiful flags that will last for a long time.
How to Make a Mason Jar Shaped Garden Flag
Supplies needed to make personalized garden flags:
- Patio Paint (I used the following colors: Blue Bahama, Grey Skies, Cloud White, Wrought Iron Black) (NOTE: this paint is intended for outdoor use)
- Paint brushes
- Sewing machine and thread
- Burlap Sunflower
- Burlap leaves
- Liquid Fusion glue (or another glue okay for outdoor use)
- Flag hanger
You can watch how I made my flag in the video below. Remember this technique is super easy and meant to be personalized. What will you add to the front of your garden flag?
If you can’t watch the video, then be sure to follow the instructions below!
Basically, you will want to have two mason jar-shaped pieces that will be sewn together to create the flag.
Measure and cut two jar shapes from the burlap. Paint each piece with patio paint. The bottom of the jar shape should be blue while the lid area should be gray.
After the paint has dried, outline the jar and lid areas with white paint and allow that to dry.
Next, add your personalized message to one piece of the flag with black paint. Allow it to dry. Alternatively, you can add the message to both pieces.
Then, attach the two pieces with the paint facing outward using a sewing machine. Sew the outer edges, leaving about a 2-inch place on both sides that is not sewed together.
Attach the sunflower and burlap leaves with the glue.
After the flag is completely dry, hang outside and enjoy your new garden flag!
These personalized garden flags are sure to put a smile on your face. They also make great gift ideas! So make a few while you have out your supplies.
Add a summer mason jar to your garden. You will love how great it looks and the fact that you made it yourself. Personalized garden flags have never been so inexpensive!
Love this and looking for more? Check out these other DIY flag ideas!
- Cut two jar like shapes from burlap.
- Lay on a surface that is protected.
- Paint both pieces with patio paint. The bottom of your jar should be blue while the top should be gray. Allow to dry.
- Paint on white lines for the lid and all the way around the outer edge. Allow the paint to dry.
- Next, add your personalized message to one or both pieces of the flag with black paint. Allow to dry.
- Use your sewing machine to sew around the outer edges. Leave about a 2 inch place on both sides that is not sewed together.
- Use a glue rated for outdoor use to attach a sunflower and a few burlap leaves. Allow to dry completely before hanging.
A Year of Jar Crafts
Sign up for our email list to get a FREE book with an entire year of jar crafts! 12 months, 12 crafts, tons of fun!