There are many Cricut tools that can make your life so much easier. In case you ever wondered what all of those toys were for, we have the ultimate guide for you today! There may just be some tools on this list that you didn’t even know existed. So read on, make a list, and decide which of these Cricut tools you need ASAP! You can see more about items you need to get started with your Cricut here.
The tools below are great additions to your Cricut machine. For information on mats and blades that you use in your machine, click here to see our post on Cricut accessories. I am going to break down my list of Cricut tools into a few sections for you. Some of these are must-haves and some are nice to have depending on what projects you may be doing.
Tools You Need for Your Cricut
In my opinion, the following tools are must haves for any Cricut owner. These tools are needed in any Cricut craft room.
- Scraper – these are a lifesaver when applying vinyl to a surface. I also use them to make sure that the transfer paper has adhered well.
- Weeder or perhaps the entire Weeding Tool Set – I can’t live without weeding tools. These help you to remove the excess vinyl before you add it to your final project.
- Brayer – this tool is perfect for extending the life of your fabric mat. Use it to really press that fabric into the mat and get more uses per mat. I also use it to adhere other materials to the mat. It is great for making any mat last as long as possible!
- Scissors – yes you can use any scissors, but this small pair is perfect for keeping close to your machine.
- Spatula – seriously so much help when it comes to removing tiny paper bits and pieces from your mat.
Don’t want the Cricut brand of tools? Wondering if off-brand tools work just as well? Click here to see our tool comparison!
Tools That are Nice to Have
These all make a great addition to your craft room but you can live without them! Some of these are sets. I find that with sets I use some of the tools but not all. Some people, however, love the ease of just ordering one item and getting everything they need.
- The Essential Tool Set – Comes with a ton of tools and some that I really do love. The tweezers are perfect for lifting things from your mat. Especially critical to keep your mats as clean as possible. The scoring stylus is included in this package along with a basic weeding tool that is essential for vinyl. The spatula in this set is one of my faves. Lifting things from the mat is easier with this tool. The small scissors and paper cutter are nice but you may already have tools like this that you love.
- Basic Tool Set – Basically everything above in the essential toolset minus the paper cutter and scoring stylus. This is also a more affordable option.
- Weeding Tool Set – A weeding tool is a must for anyone working with vinyl. Seriously these will save your sanity. You can just get a single weeding tool but this set is really great. It includes weeding tools with pointy tips as well as tweezers.
- XL Scraper – You can get by with the smaller scraper that often comes in the toolsets but I love the XL version.
- TrueControl Knife – a craft knife is a staple in my craft room and this one from Cricut is really great.
Fabric Tools for the Cricut
If you bought your Cricut Maker to make fabric projects, you might want to consider adding on a few of these tools to your list.
- Rotary Cutter – you need to cut any fabric you use on your Cricut machine to 12 inches wide. This rotary cutter will allow you to do that with ease.
- Self-Healing Cutting Mat – this is a companion to the rotary cutter above and perfect for cutting fabric.
- Acrylic Ruler – perfect for running those straight lines when cutting fabric with your rotary cutter.
- Sewing Kit – the Cricut Maker is a lifesaver when it comes to crafting with fabric. Add this sewing kit to complete your arsenal.
- Tweezers – another tool that helps extend the life of your fabric mat. The oils in your fingers can affect the adhesive so use these tweezers to pick up your fabric pieces.
Paper Crafting Tools You Will Love
I know I probably have some paper crafters out there and you may want some special tools.
- Portable Trimmer – if you are a paper crafter, a trimmer is a must! This one is small and portable which I personally love. It comes in one of the tools sets above as well.
- Scoring Stylus – need to score paper and not cut it? You need one of these tools! If you have the Maker, you can opt for the Scoring Wheel instead.
Which of these Cricut tools will you try? For me, I want one of each! Time to make my wish list!
PS. Want to learn more about your machine? Click here for our guide on the Cricut Maker or here to see our comparison between the Cricut Maker and the Explore Air.