Flag banners make a classic decoration for any occasion. Although they look complicated, they’re surprisingly easy to make. Make this DIY patriotic banner for Memorial Day, the 4th of July, or even for Labor Day!
I love filling my home with red, white, and blue decor all summer long. A DIY patriotic banner is a quick and easy project for your home decor this summer. Add a touch of burlap with some red, white, and blue farmhouse appeal. The idea is similar to my Patriotic Bunting from Bandanas, but with a rustic flag twist!
You can make this great DIY project in minutes to hang around your home for a party or even just festive decor for the summer months. This one was originally posted over at Crafts Unleashed but I am posting here in case you missed it.
Where Can I Hang This Banner?
If I am being completely honest, I’ve moved this banner around my house many times. One year, I hung it across my mantle and styled it with this DIY marquee sign. Another time, we were hosting a 4th of July barbeque and I hung up this patriotic banner across the front of the table and added these patriotic mason jar centerpieces to the table.
It’s very multi-purposeful- so be creative!
Supplies Needed To Make Your Own DIY Patriotic Banner
Here’s a list of the supplies you’ll need for this project. I have linked a few items to help you find them easier. Please note: Some of the links may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase, you won’t pay any extra, but I may receive a small commission to go towards this site.
- Burlap Triangle Flags (these are one per package) (they are like two thicknesses of burlap with a sewn finished edge so you can definitely make your own)
- Red & Blue Craft Paint
- Sponge Brush
- White Felt
- Star Printed from Computer
- Jute Cord
- Hot Glue and Glue Gun (my favorite is this one from Adtech)
How To Make A DIY Flag Patriotic Banner
I was inspired to create this fun project from this original burlap banner at Pottery Barn. But, I was not about to spend that much on a simple burlap banner! You can make your own for a fraction of the price and today I’m showing you how.
Start by painting the burlap triangles red and blue with a sponge brush. Protect your work surface before beginning. Then, apply a thick coat of paint to each one. Allow it to dry overnight before continuing.
In the meantime, you can work on your felt stars. Print a star shape from your computer and cut it out of the paper. Trace it onto the felt with a marker then cut the shapes from the felt. You will need one star for every burlap triangle.
Once the paint has dried, assemble your DIY patriotic banner by using hot glue. Glue the stars to each triangle and the triangles to jute twine. Alternate colors as shown below.
You can make the burlap banner as long or as short as you would like by increasing or decreasing the number of triangles. Also, note that you may need to trim the ragged edges from the burlap triangles when assembling. The ragged edges give a nice rustic element, but they can get a little too jagged from time to time.
I used my DIY patriotic burlap banner on my barn wood mantel. I love having a small touch of patriotic decor in my home all summer long. You can also find the Southern Grammar Chart and Flag Button Tray on my mantel. The touch of burlap is perfect for the rustic farmhouse decor in my family room.
Make your DIY patriotic banner today!
Don’t like the triangles? You can also give this painted burlap banner from The Crafted Sparrow a try!
More DIY Patriotic Items For Your Home
If you love this patriotic banner project, you’ll love these other red, white, and blue-inspired projects that you can make!
- Patriotic Windsock Kids Craft Idea
- Patriotic Wand Centerpiece
- Make Easy Patriotic Table Accents
- Patriotic Bandana Banner
- Patriotic Wooden Star & More DIY Patriotic Crafts
- Paint the burlap triangles with a thick coat of red or blue paint. Allow them to dry overnight before continuing.
- Make your stars. Print a star shape from your computer and cut it out of the paper. Use a marker to trace the shape repeatedly onto the felt. Cut the stars out of the felt. You will need one star for each burlap triangle.
- Use hot glue to glue the triangles onto the jute twine and a star on each triangle. Make your banner as long or as short as you want.
- Trim any extra jagged edges and hang up your patriotic banner to enjoy!