This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
Are you ready to learn how to make a picture frame from scrap wood? Making picture frames has never been easier and you can add these rustic beauties to just about every room of your home. You can actually make your own picture frame or even make up a big batch of these to give as gifts. Just grab your supplies and start turning that pile of scrap wood into something amazing!
Supplies needed to make your own picture frame:
- Scrap wood pieces
- Wood stain (I used grey)
- Hot glue and a glue gun
Video for Making Picture Frames
Want to see exactly how to make a picture frame in a quick video? I am sharing below just how easy this project can be and you can watch it in just a few minutes.
Can’t watch the video or missed some of the steps? Keep reading for details on how to make your own picture frame.
How to Make a Picture Frame
- Trim boards to whatever size you wish. Mine were actually the ends from a project and the perfect size for making picture frames. You can also sand your boards if needed.
- Clean the boards well before continuing.
- Then stain the boards in the color of your choice. I am using a grey stain for a weathered look but you can use any stain that matches your home for this project. Just paint on the stain with a paintbrush, allow to sit a few minutes, then wipe away any excess with a rag.
- Once completely dry, wrap twine around one end of the board several times. Tie in a knot in the back to hold in place.
- Then complete your project by adding on some embellishments with hot glue. I chose sunflowers, burlap flowers, and even some seasonal decorations for my rustic frames but you can use anything you like now that you know how to make a picture frame from scrap wood.
Be sure to grab the supplies to make your own picture frame today. You can make them for every day use and also a few for your seasonal decor. You can see the one that was on my mantel this holiday season below.
Using this method for making picture frames is inexpensive enough that you can whip up some for every holiday and occasion.
So, what do you think of this method for how to make a picture frame? Super simple, right?
Know someone on your gift list that can use one of these rustic, farmhouse frames? Then make them one in just minutes!
Making picture frames has never been easier…or cuter for that matter!
I would love to see your results if you use this tutorial to make your own picture frame! So, be sure to tag us on social media if you do!
So, do you love this tutorial on how to make a picture frame and want more ideas? Try the links below!
- Easter Bunnies from Scrap Wood
- Carpenter Bee Traps
- Rustic Wall Art from a Wood Slice
- Barn Wood Wedding Reception Table Numbers
- Farmhouse Pillows
- Hunger Games Love Quote Sign in Barnwood
- Rustic Menu Board for Your Kitchen
- 71 more ideas for scrap wood!