Do you love unique graduation gifts? We have a great idea for you today. A money shadowbox graduation gift! If you are looking for ideas for gifting money, this post is for you! This graduation shadow box is the perfect way to show the graduate you care and give them a gift they will love.
Want more ideas for graduation? See our other graduation crafts here.
This was first published April 7, 2017, however, I am republishing with more information.
Graduation Shadow Box
Giving money for graduation has never been easier! This fun gift idea will leave them laughing however they will love what is inside this great shadow box frame. Love this and looking for another idea? I was inspired to create this by my friend over at 30 Minute Crafts.
Supplies to make this money shadowbox graduation gift:
- Shadowbox frame (You can use any that you like here. I used one that was already painted white.)
- White vinyl
- Transfer tape
- Cricut or another craft cutter
- Weeding tool (optional but is helpful for weeding)
- Plain black or other color cardstock
How to Make a Money Shadowbox: Step-by-Step
The shadowbox that I used comes pre-painted. If you are using one that is plain, be sure to paint it before beginning.
Create your Design
Design text for the front of the shadowbox in Design Space and personalize it using any fonts you want. You want it the same size as the glass in the front of your frame. I am using the Century Gothic font in this example. See how to use your own fonts in Cricut Design Space here.
This is easy to do by creating a square the size of your glass to lay your font out on in Design Space. Be sure to pick all of your text and click attach then click make it. Be sure you either remove the square you used for laying out your design or change it to a guide.
Cutting and Weeding Vinyl
Proceed to cut the text from white vinyl. I am using permanent vinyl for my project but removable would work just as well in this case. I used the vinyl setting to cut my design with my Cricut machine.
Weed out all excess vinyl. I like to use a weeding tool to aid with this. Be sure to get the center of all of the letters.
Applying Vinyl to Shadow Box
Add transfer tape to the top of your vinyl and burnish well with a scraper. Use the transfer tape to lift the vinyl from the backing.
Locate and place on the glass and press down well. Use a scraping tool, credit card, or another flat tool to burnish well (remember you’re working with glass so be careful). You can also try the wet application method for this step if you have trouble locating your vinyl or with bubbles in your final project.
Remove the transfer tape going slowly to prevent bubbles in your vinyl. Once removed, be sure to burnish the vinyl down well so it is adhered well. Enjoy your beautiful vinyl on the glass.
Filling Your Graduation Money Shadow Box
You will want to add a plain-colored card stock to the back of your shadowbox. I used black corrugated, however, you could also use school colors or the receiver’s favorite color.
Then just add in any amount of money you wish to make this great unique graduation gift. The gift recipient can just open the shadow box from the back to get the cash but the sentiment on the front is a fun way to give money for graduation.
Who wouldn’t want to receive this as a graduation gift? Giving money for graduation is one of the best presents you can provide and we just made it unique and a bit fun as well!
The best part?? They don’t have to actually break the glass to get to the cash! In my case, the front glass slides off easily allowing them to access their gift anytime. Your shadowbox may open from the front or back, however, there will be a way for the graduate to open it without actually breaking the glass!
If you are looking for unique graduation gifts, look no further! The graduate in your life with love this thoughtful gift idea.
Want more ideas for graduation gifts? Check out the links below!
- Make Your Own Graduation Card
- Graduation Mason Jar Gift
- Graduation Gift in a Jar
- T-Shirt Graduation Quilt
- Rolo Graduation Gift
- and 20 more handmade graduation gift ideas
Love this graduation gift idea and want more? Try the links below as well!
Want to print the instructions for this graduation shadow box? Use the card below!
- Shadowbox frame
- White vinyl
- Transfer tape
- Plain black or other color card stock
- The shadowbox that I used comes pre-painted. If you are using one that is plain, be sure to paint it before beginning. Design text for the front of the shadowbox in Design Space. You want it the same size as the glass in the front of your frame. Cut the text from white vinyl.
- Weed out all excess vinyl. I like to use a weeding tool to aid with this. Be sure to get the centers of all of the letters. Use transfer tape to lift the vinyl from the backing.
- Place on the glass and press down well. Burnish well with a scraping tool.
- Remove the transfer tape and your vinyl will be left on the glass.
- You will want to add a plain colored card stock to the back of your shadowbox. I used black corrugated. You could also use school colors.
- Add in any amount of money you wish to make this great unique graduation gift.