DIY Vintage Flour Sack

K…I have been lusting after a vintage flour sack…and free sounds pretty good to me…what about y’all??  Trying to be oh so much like Miss Mustard Seed, I made my own…and you can too!!
The inspiration came directly from General Mills
I used flour sack towels that I already had and an old pillow.  I cut the towels to the size of a pillow plus some for my seams.
I put the Gold Medal logo into my Silhouette program and cut it out of cardstock.  It took a while..but it did an EXCELLENT job!!  If you are going to do this on your Silhouette, I can actually email you the Silhouette file…just drop me a line.
And then it took a looong time to remove all those little pieces….
I used little bitty pieces of tape to put the middles back in…patience is key…
I then used blue and stenciled it right on my flour sack towel….
You then have to paint by hand anywhere the tape blocked the paint….see the difference between the R and O below…
I absolutely LOVE how the logo turned out….
Perfect but not too perfect…ya know?
I then used my pieces to make a pillow cover.  I actually lined it with some muslin.  My pillow I covered was so dark I was afraid it would show through the flour sack towel.
It is absolutely everything I dreamed it would be!!
Gorgeous (fake-out) vintage goodness!!
And I made it with what I already had on hand!  Free is the best vintage fake out of all!
I will now be on the hunt for a vintage sugar logo!!  Stay tuned!
Posted on Made by You Monday on Skip To My Lou.
Posted on Met Monday on Between Naps on the Porch.
Posted at Just Something I Whipped Up on The Girl Creative.
Posted at Your So Very Creative on Me Making Do.
Posted at Good Life Wednesdays on A Beach Cottage.
Posted at Frugal Friday on Shabby Nest.
Posted at the Sunday Showcase on Under the Table and Dreaming.
Serenity Now Crafty Cutter Party
Visit thecsiproject.com
~Thanks for stopping by!~

~Angie~

Comments

Gorgeous! And you must have a ton of patience! I know with the Cricut, it’s the same – patiently popping out the letters and then taping everything down. This was so worth it!

Jeanine

What a fabulous process. Your silhoutte makes such professional looking images. (I’m thinking money right away, lol). Great pillow project! Hope you’ll stop by and see our fabrics. Jane

Ok, I have totally been trying to figure out how to stencil with my Silhouette! It’s the middle pieces of all the letters that got me! Thanks for the idea, and I LOVE the pillow!!

Is there a way to change images into Silhouette files so you can cut them? I’ve barely had mine a month!

Glad I hopped over here from A Beach Cottage because last time I was here, I meant to follow you, then forogt to add you to my reader and lost you!

HI Angie! I have wanted to do this for about a month now….even downloaded the same graphic! I just couldn’t figure out how to make it work! I never occurred to me to use my Silhouette! Wow! That is an awesome project! I’d love a copy of your silhouette file to make one! I’ll be on the look out of your sugar version! I found your project at the CSI Project. If you have a minute please stop by and have a look at mine! http://keeninspirations.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentines-printable-love-word-arti.html
    I am your newest follower…I don’t want to miss anything! :-)

This is awesome! Would you consider printing out the stencil and selling me one? I don’t have a Silhouette. Also, have you considered giving your material a ‘tea’ bath to make them look more vintage?

Thanks for the inspiration!

If you have the “old” silhouette software:

Open up your silhouette software. And hit new in the upper left hand corner of your toolbar. Then there should be an option under insert for file. Pick the general mills file. It should pop it onto your screen. You then need to resize it to the shape you want. You then choose get outline in the upper right hand corner of your toolbar. Once that opens up just hit the button that says paste and exit. It will have traced each and every bit of the logo and you are ready to cut!

If you have the new silhouette software:

Angie,

I wonder if the Silhouette file would work in Design Studios and/or SCAL (Sure-Cuts-A-Lot)? Has anyone tried that?

I can’t wait to use the stencil…project coming soon!

Thanks!

Angie, you always make such cute stuff! I ADORE this! So cute! One question though, since I just got my Cricut last month, do you use the Cricut Design Studio to do this? I don’t have it yet, but am thinking of buying it. Is it worth it? Thanks! Again, LOVE your project!

You little smarty pants!! I had forgotten that you can upload “pics” and have Silhouette cut them. Maybe I’ll learn how to do that tonight at my class?? Your flour sack turned out great!! I love that you used one color for the logo!

Thanks for sharing, Angie! I REALLY appreciate you taking the time, not only to link up, but also to link back. :)

I’m stopping by from Serenity’s Now linky party, and I love this project! You did an amazing job, what a great idea! I would love the logo file, my email is thelittlewifeblog(at)gmail(dot)com.

I love this logo idea. I would love to have the pattern too, for my new Silhouette if you don’t mind.

Maybe cutting it out with freezer paper to do the stenciling would eliminate the tape step as you could iron down the little pieces before painting.

Laurie

Thanks.

I’m thinking about the new Cameo machine. Figured my family could get it for me for Christmas. Saw your post from Tip Junkie. I was wondering if I could still get the file you so graciously offered? If so, kanes_1@msn.com. Thank you so much!

I’m looking at the new Cameo. I’m thinking it would be a great gift for my family to get me for Christmas. I, too, am a Mustard Seed fan and would love to have a copy of your flour file to use. I keep pricing feed sacks and well… If you are still so graciously offering to send the file I am at kanes_1@msn.com. Thank you so much.

Okay I want to be able to make my own stencils too!! Looks like I need one of those machines. Which one do you recommend? And what material do I use to make a reusable stencil? Cardboard, mylar, vinyl? Help!! Love your stenciled items.

15. Jennifer says

It turned out awesome! I would love to make one of my own on my silhouette. Can you please send me the file. Thank you!!!!