There’s no other character quite like Ms. Frizzle! If your kids love the Magic School Bus, make this Ms. Frizzle costume for them to play dress up or use for Halloween. It’s really easy to make in a snap.
Did you love the Magic School Bus when you were little? Do your kids love it now? If so, dressing up as Miss Frizzle is the perfect costume.
This Ms. Frizzle space dress is easy to make and will really wow your friends!
The best part? It’s perfect for adults as well as kids. Make your own Miss Frizzle costume with our simple instructions below.
Note: Check out our other DIY costume ideas too – we have a bunch of easy ones!
Supplies Needed To Make A Miss Frizzle Costume
All you need are some simple craft supplies, many of which you probably already have!
- Solid color dress or trench coat (we found ours at Goodwill)
- Felt in various colors
- Fabric glue
- Yellow foam stars
- Solid color shoes (again ours came from Goodwill)
Supplies For The Purse
- Still yellow felt
- Black puffy paint
- Bus template (printed from online)
- Transfer paper
- Thread and sewing machine
How To Make A Ms. Frizzle Costume Yourself
Start by making your costume!
The instructions for the purse are down below. I’ve also included all this information in a convenient printable instruction card that you can print out and have on hand when you’re ready to make your Ms. Frizzle costume!
The hardest part was finding a base. We ended up with this purple trench coat!
Look for anything that is a solid color and roughly the right shape.
Then, get to work cutting out planets, stars, moons, and more from your felt. I simply traced the star shapes onto the felt in various sizes and cut them out. Make some quarter moons as well.
The planets are all just circles with a variety of fun and creative designs. Rings for Saturn and stripes for another planet. You could have fun making swirls or any other designs you think of!
The sun is one circle with another piece that goes underneath that has the sun’s rays. Get creative with your embellishments and have fun with them!
Gather all of your shapes and then use fabric glue to adhere them to the dress. Just add them randomly to the front, the back, and the arms. Cut more out if needed. Just keep adding until you’re happy with the look. There are no rules on this!
Then, set the entire thing aside to dry.
What would a Miss Frizzle costume be without a lizard on the shoulders? We picked this one up at a yard sale and just attached him with some safety pins. Perfect!
Making the shoes is super simple. We used a plain red shoe and tied on some foam stars to dress them up.
How To Make The Purse For Ms. Frizzle’s Costume
I loved the way that this Miss Frizzle dress turned out, but I just couldn’t stop there! I also made a school bus purse to complete the entire costume. Here’s how:
Use stiff yellow felt and cut a front and back for the purse.
I used transfer paper to add a bus pattern. I then traced that with black puffy paint and set it aside to dry completely.
Next, I cut more stiff felt for the sides and bottom of the purse and sewed the entire thing together. Add some ribbon handles, and your Magic School Bus purse is ready to join this Miss Frizzle costume!
That’s it! Super simple, right? 😁
If you’re looking for a quick and easy Halloween costume this year, try making this Ms. Frizzle costume! Then, all you have to do is pull your hair up into a bun and put on this adorable costume. It could even win awards at school costume contests…
Everyone will love how this looks when you have it on and you’ll love how easy it is to make.
If you make this Miss Frizzle costume, send us a picture because we would love to see them!
Want More Costume Ideas? Check These Out!
If you love this Ms. Frizzle costume, I have more easy peasy costume ideas that look amazing without breaking the bank or making you want to pull your hair out in frustration!
- Old Lady Halloween Costume
- Cowboy Halloween Costume
- Jack Sparrow Costume
- Zombie Girl Costume
- 80s Girl Halloween Costume from the Dollar store
- Solid color dress or trench coat in a similar style to Ms. Frizzle
- Felt various colors
- Fabric glue
- Craft foam to make yellow foam stars
- Solid color shoes we got ours from Goodwill
- Felt yellow
- Puffy Paint black
- Bus template printed from online
- Transfer Paper
- Sewing machine and thread
How To Make Ms Frizzle’s Costume
- Find your base. It can be a trench coat or a solid-colored dress. We got ours at Goodwill.
- Cut out planets, stars, moons, and more from your felt. I cut out stars in different sizes, quarter moons, and cut circles for the planets. Then I added stripes and rings to the planets. The sun is two pieces with the rays being back behind the main circle.Have fun making embellishments!
- Attach all the shapes to the dress with fabric glue. Add them randomly all over the front, back, and arms of the dress. There are no rules – keep adding until you like the way it looks!
- Set the entire dress aside until it's dry.
- Find a stuffed lizard and attach it to the dress with safety pins.
- For the shoes, find solid-colored shoes and tie some foam stars on them.
Make Ms Frizzle’s Purse
- Cut the front and back pieces out of stiff yellow felt for the purse.
- Add the bus pattern to these large yellow felt pieces with transfer paper.
- Cut out more felt for the purse's sides and bottom. Sew all the pieces together. Add ribbon for handles.
I love this costume! Perfect for a party. Thank you for sharing the details!!
This is a cute costume. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight Party @DearCreatives Pinned & Sharing
I love your Halloween ideas, Angie. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle. Pinning them to my Halloween Board.