Snowballs are a classic winter accessory, but real snowballs won’t last indoors! Make these DIY fake snowballs with pipe cleaners for that perfect final touch to your winter decor!
Like my Snow Wreath, DIY snowballs are the perfect accessory for your winter home decor and will stand out (in just the right way) all winter long.
Think these fake snowballs are only for Christmas time? While they will add that perfect wintery touch to your Christmas decor, I love using items that I can display throughout the winter season as well.
That’s why a batch of pipe cleaner snowballs is the perfect craft for late December! Add them to a rustic bowl or just add them around your mantel with my Free Let It Snow Printable and some Sock Snowmen.
Either way, you’re sure to love the way these DIY styrofoam snowballs look!
If you love snow decor, also check out:
- Let It Snow Winter Plaque
- Metallic Let it Snow Sign
- Snow and Cranberries Centerpiece
- Reversible Wooden Signs with Sayings
- Sock Snowman: A Quick And Easy Craft Idea
- Plastic Snow Globes
Supplies Needed To Make DIY Fake Snowballs
- Styrofoam balls
- White pipe cleaners (I found this pipe cleaner on a roll at my local craft store but regular pipe cleaners would work as well.)
- Hot glue and a glue gun
How To Make DIY Styrofoam Snowballs with Pipe Cleaners
This project couldn’t be easier! In just a handful of steps and mere minutes, you’ll have several beautiful fake snowballs that you’ll be proud to display anywhere – and everywhere!
To start, poke a small hole in your styrofoam ball and put the end of the pipe cleaner in that hole. Secure with hot glue.
Then, just use hot glue and keep wrapping your pipe cleaner around.
If you find a roll, just keep wrapping until the ball is covered and secure the other end with hot glue.
If you are using regular pipe cleaners, continue gluing until the end of the stick. Secure the end and start with the next pipe cleaner. Repeat until you have completely covered the styrofoam ball.
Once your foam ball is covered, your DIY snowballs are ready for display anywhere inside your home!
DIY Tip: For a farmhouse touch, you can add these balls to a rustic bowl with some wood beads and pinecones. It really does make the perfect farmhouse style display, don’t you think?
DIY Snowballs: The Perfect Winter Decor
That’s it! Didn’t I mention how easy these artificial snowballs are to make? This project goes so quickly that you can make several to display in multiple areas around your house.
Don’t they remind you of sparkling white snow? I love decorating with white in winter – it’s just the perfect winter color!
These fake snowballs are perfect not only for farmhouse decor but any decor. They’ll pop against other colors and add that perfect wintery touch to any style of decor.
If you have someone in your life who loves snowy decor pieces, this project would make a great DIY gift idea too!
What are you waiting for? Grab the small number of supplies you need and get to work. This quick and easy project is one that will sparkle in any room.
Love These DIY Fake Snowballs and Want More Wintery Ideas?
- Free Snowman SVG and other Winter Cut Files
- Snowman Wreath: Perfect for Winter
- Winter Snowman Art with Burlap
- Snowman Jar Luminary – easy winter craft idea
- Winter and Snow SVG Bundle
If you want to print the instructions for making these pipe cleaner snowballs, just use the print button on the recipe card below!
- Styrofoam balls
- White pipe cleaners I found this pipe cleaner on a roll at my local craft store but regular pipe cleaners would work as well.
- Take your styrofoam ball and poke a small hole into the end so you can put the end of the pipe cleaner in that hole. Use a dab of hot glue to secure the pipe cleaner in place.
- From there, wrap your pipe cleaner all the way around your styrofoam ball and hot glue it down as you go. If you use a pipe cleaner roll, just keep wrapping until the ball is covered and cut and secure the other end with hot glue. If you're using regular pipe cleaners, you will use multiple sticks. Simply repeat the process until you have completely covered the styrofoam ball.
- Once your foam ball is completely covered and the pipe cleaners are glued down, your DIY fake snowball is finished!
Thank you so much for sharing these DIY’s!!! I just went to your post about the fabric balls you did last January, and I am itchin’ to make a few!
Wow – those are so stinkin’ cool!! I had no idea that pipe cleaners came on a roll!
Thanks for sharing – they are really cute!
I had my hands on some pipe cleaners at the craft store yesterday… wondering what to do with them. Now I know! These are darling!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE these! Where in the world did you find pipe cleaners on a roll? I have never seen that before.
All the balls that you made are too cute!! Guess what I am going to do?!
Just so darn cute! ~and clever~
Angie – Love the texture of the pipe cleaners. So clever and creative and they look fabulous! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. I’ll be featuring this today. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn
I want me some white balls. The pipe cleaner is such a great idea!
So cute, will definitely be making some. Thanks!
Thank you! I’m glad you like them 🙂