These Valentine heart boxes can be used to give a gift or to decorate your home for the holiday. Either way, your Cricut machine makes these boxes simple to make. You can whip up several in just a few minutes and start adding in gifts. You can even personalize the text on each one to be whatever you would like. What can you put inside of these? Try a heart necklace, bath bombs, or some clay earrings.
Valentine Heart Boxes
I love the bright colors of this project as they remind me of conversation hearts which we all used to love as kids! You can, however, change this up and use whatever colors that you like for this project. It will be amazing no matter which colors you choose!
- Paper Mache Heart Boxes
- Craft Paint in the colors of your choice
- Cricut machine (any will work)
- Conversation Hearts Cut File (see how to get that below)
- Transfer Tape
Conversation Hearts Cut File
Sign up in for the newsletter in the form below and the SVG file to make this project will be sent directly to your email. Be sure to look for a form that has a picture of the file you need. If you already get the newsletter, just add in your information as you will not be signed up for anything further. Once you sign up, the SVG cut file will be sent directly to your email.
This file is for personal use only. You can contact me if you have any issues with the download.
How to Make Conversation Heart Boxes
Now that you have all of your supplies as well as the SVG cut file, you can whip up these Valentine heart boxes in no time at all. Just be sure to allow time for your paint to dry as that is a critical part of this project.
- Start by painting the paper mache boxes in the color of your choice. You will need to paint both the top as well as the bottom. With paper mache, always do light coats of paint. Then allow to dry and add another coat. These boxes took me approximately three coats for full coverage.
- While your paint is drying, you can download the conversation heart cut file above. Then upload that cut file to your Cricut. Cut the designs from vinyl. Then weed away all of the excess vinyl around the outside as well as the centers of letters.
- You will then need to use transfer tape to move the design from the backing paper to the paper mache boxes. Paper mache can be delicate so I recommend cutting a piece of transfer tape to the size of your design then sticking it to your shirt a few times. This will make it less sticky and therefore less likely to damage your paper mache. Then use the transfer tape on the top of your design and burnish well.
- You can then remove the backing paper from your design and get it ready to add to your box lid.
- Carefully place your design on the box lid. Make sure it is in the correct location as you will not be able to reposition it.
- Burnish it well then peel back the transfer tape. Be careful when pulling back to ensure that the paper mache is not damaged.
- Then just repeat this same procedure for as many Valentine heart boxes as you want to make.
These boxes are so easy to make and they are simply adorable. I love the idea of adding a small gift for someone special inside but you can also use this same idea for decor for you home.
These heart-shaped boxes actually come in a wide variety of sizes. Pick the one that will fit your gift or your home’s decor. Just be sure to resize your cut file before cutting if it needs to be larger or smaller.
So, grab your supplies and make some Valentine heart boxes for those that you love. You will be so glad that you did! I mean just look how cute they are? They are sure to put a smile on someone’s face.