This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
Coffee sleeves are super easy to create and can be used in many different ways. Learn how to quickly and easily make your own coffee cup sleeve!
Coffee sleeves make a really great, eco-friendly, and inexpensive gift idea. Plus, they are easy to make and customize to anyone’s preferences!
I thought I would show how to both cut one and customize it with your Cricut machine today. Of course, if you just want a plain version it would be super simple to cut from felt with scissors. But who doesn’t enjoy a little bling?
This is a part of Craft Lightning week where we are sharing felt projects all week that can be made in 15 minutes or less. If you want to catch all the other ideas (and believe me, you DO!), I rounded up all the felt craft ideas for you.
Supplies Needed to Make Custom Coffee Sleeves
- Felt (I used the Cricut felt sheets)
- Iron On Vinyl (I used the glitter vinyl in silver)
- Cricut Cutting Machine (Want to see the difference between the machines? I compared the Cricut Maker and Explore here.) I definitely recommend the Cricut Maker for cutting felt for this project.
- Weeding tools (optional)
- Cricut EasyPress (optional but recommended – see below for details)
- Fabric glue or sewing machine
- Cut file (click here to access in Design Space)
Coffee Cup Sleeves Instructions
I am listing out each step of the process and including images to help guide you from start to finish!
Start by cutting your pieces. Click here to access in Design Space.
I did enough for two coffee sleeves.
Cut the words from glitter iron-on vinyl using your fine point blade. Remember to mirror the cuts on the iron-on vinyl and place it shiny side down on your mat.
Cut the sleeve itself from felt. I use my rotary blade and the Cricut Maker for all felt cutting to get those lovely clean edges.
If you’re cutting two of the sleeves at a time, you may want to alter the position within Design Space to make the most of your material. It wants to cut each sleeve from one sheet of felt.
How to Cut Two Sleeves at One Time
Start by highlighting your first mat with a sleeve. Then click on the sleeve itself. Click the round arrow and rotate it to take up less space on the felt.
Next, click the second mat that has a sleeve. Click the sleeve itself and click the three dots. Then choose “move to another mat”.
Pick the mat with the first sleeve.
Now you just need to rotate it and move the position so it’s not overlapping the first. You can now cut two sleeves from one sheet of felt.
Remove all excess from your vinyl cutout including the centers of your letters. I recommend using weeding tools to make this task easier.
Then it is time to add your vinyl to the coffee sleeve.
To make this task easy, I use the Cricut EasyPress. You can actually learn more about this machine and watch me make some coffee sleeves in the video below.
Awesome right? Just be sure to follow all of the instructions that come with your EasyPress. I personally will not do a vinyl project without cranking up the EasyPress. It has been a lifesaver for iron-on vinyl projects around my home.
We then need to break out the Velcro to finish off this project.
Cut a piece to fit your sleeve and then add it to the overlap using glue intended for fabric. Allow this to dry completely before continuing.
You could also sew this into place with your sewing machine. I found it easiest to wrap the sleeve around the cup that I intended to use when adding the Velcro to get proper placement.
Once everything is dry, you have a great gift or just something for you to wrap around your morning cup of joe!
Now that you know how easy it is to make coffee sleeves, will you be making one for everyone on your list?
You can add whatever you would like to the front of each one and even customize them to your gift recipient. A quick and easy felt craft that everyone will love!
Want more quick and easy felt projects? I rounded up all of the 15-minute felt craft ideas in one post to make it easier for you!
Custom Coffee Sleeves Design
- Cricut cutting machine
- Weeding tools
- Cricut EasyPress
- Start by cutting your vinyl pieces. Click here to access in Design Space.
- Use your fine point blade to cut out the words from your iron-on vinyl. Don't forget to mirror the cuts on the iron-on vinyl and place it shiny side down on your mat.
- Cut the sleeve itself from felt. (I recommend using your rotary blade and the Cricut Maker for all felt cutting to get those clean edges.)
- Remove all excess from your vinyl cutout including the centers of your letters. I recommend using weeding tools to make this task easier.
- Add your vinyl to the coffee sleeve.
- Break out the Velcro to finish off this project. Cut a piece to fit your sleeve and then add it to the overlap using glue intended for fabric. Allow this to dry completely before using.
New to Cricut?
Sign up for our email list here to download the Beginner's Guide to Cricut Design Space for FREE today!
Sign up to get the guide emailed to you!