Looking for a fun and easy project that you can do with your Cricut? This blog post will show you how to make a fairy Cricut nightlight using a mason jar! This is a great project for kids of all ages, and it only takes a few simple steps to complete.
Is your kiddo scared of the dark lately? I get it- I went through it myself with my own kids!
In search of a nightlight, I realized:
- They are really tiny and don’t actually work that well.
- Not really cute to look at!
So, now that I basically use my Cricut for everything, I decided to use it to design my own mason jar nightlight.
Note: If you love this DIY nightlight, consider checking out my posts on how to make an engraved acrylic nightlight with my Cricut Explore!
How To Make A Fairy Cricut Nightlight
A fairy nightlight is a great addition to any kid’s room! This solar-powered mason jar nightlight was super easy to make and I had my kids help me make them.
I added a fairy to one and a unicorn to another. You can mix it up and add any design you want to the front of your mason jar.
Then, let the light shine in!
Here is everything you need to make your very own nightlight…
- Pint-sized mason jars (with at least one smooth side)
- Solar-powered mason jar lids
- Frosted glass paint
- Holographic vinyl
- Cricut machine (click here to see which is my favorite)
- Fairy file (click here to access)
- Unicorn file (click here to access)
Watch My Video Tutorial!
Want to see me make the nightlights in a video? I have that for you as well! Watch the short video below.
Can’t watch or missed some of the steps? We have instructions below as well!
Clean your mason jars well. I recommend using rubbing alcohol and then allowing them to dry completely.
Paint the entire jar with one coat of the frosted glass paint and set it aside to dry.
Pro Tip: You will want the paint to be completely dry before adding the vinyl so you might want to wait overnight.
Download the files above and upload them to your Cricut machine. You can see how to do that here!
Size your design to fit your mason jar and cut the shape you like from the holographic vinyl. Then, weed away all excess.
Transfer the shape to your mason jar. You can use transfer tape if needed.
Add the solar light to the lid and your fairy nightlight is ready for any room!
Pro Tip: Be sure to remove the tab from the inside of the lid so your light will work.
Here are a couple of questions that I see readers ask about learning how to make a Cricut nightlight. If you have a question, please check to see if I’ve already answered it below. Don’t see it? Leave it for me in the comments!
What can I use in place of solar power lights?
If you don’t want to use solar lights, you could also use a battery-operated light and place it inside the mason jar. Just be mindful that it might go out faster and you have to swap it out more frequently.
Can I make this nightlight using a different size jar?
Yes! You can make this project using any size of mason jar. Just adjust the design file to fit your jar.
My vinyl didn’t stick well, what do I do?
If your vinyl doesn’t stick well, you can apply a coat of Mod Podge to the front of the jar before adding the vinyl. Allow it to dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
Can I use a different color vinyl?
Yes! You can use any color vinyl you like for this project. Just be sure to size your design file to fit your jar.
My light isn’t working, what do I do?
If your light isn’t working, you might have to remove the tab from the inside of the solar lid. Be sure to check out the video for more information!
Can I make this project using a Cricut Explore?
Yes! You can use a Cricut Explore machine to make this project.
Will you add a mason jar night light to your child’s room? Just look at these jars when the lights are on!
They are super cute and add a little something just as is.
But, when the lights go out, the show really begins!
A fairy night light is something your child will love and they are so easy to make! Plus with the solar lid, they turn on as soon as it gets dark. No switch is required!
Make a fairy nightlight soon as everyone will love these gorgeous solar-powered mason jars! You might even need to make one for your bedroom as well.
More DIY Fairy Projects:
- Mason Jar Gift Ideas With A Fairy Garden Top
- Fairy Lantern In a Mason Jar
- How To Make A Fairy Garden With A Pool
- Spring Wreath Ideas: A Fairy Garden On Your Door
- DIY Mason Jar Fairy House
- Clean your mason jars well. I recommend using rubbing alcohol and then allowing them to dry completely.
- Paint the entire jar with one coat of the frosted glass paint and set it aside to dry.
- Download the files above and upload them to your Cricut machine. You can see how to do that here!
- Size your design to fit your mason jar and cut the shape you like from the holographic vinyl. Then, weed away all excess.
- Transfer the shape to your mason jar. You can use transfer tape if needed.
- Add the solar light to the lid and your fairy nightlight is ready for any room!
- You will want the paint to be completely dry before adding the vinyl so you might want to wait overnight.
- You can also add other files if you would like instead of the fairy and unicorn options. In fact, we have free unicorn SVG files here and a mermaid one here that might work!
- Be sure to remove the tab from the inside of the lid so your light will work.
New to Cricut?
Sign up for our email list to download the Beginner's Guide to Cricut Design Space for FREE today!
Sign up to get the guide emailed to you!