Start a garden in a jar this summer and grow your own herbs. This quick and easy project is the perfect kick off to summer. Start seeds in the jar and use this as a way to show the kids how plants grow. Before you know it you will have a mason jar herb garden of your very own. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post to see more from our end of the school year Cricut event.
Supplies needed to start a garden in a jar:
Some links below may be affiliate links which means that you do not pay anymore, however, a portion of your purchase will go to support this site. Some materials may have been given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
- Pint mason jars
- Cricut Outdoor Vinyl (in the color of your choice)
- Downloadable herb marker file here
- Cricut Machine (optional) (I used my Cricut Maker but you can use any of the Cricut line up for this project.) (Click here to learn about the differences between the machines.)
- Transfer tape
- Weeding tools (optional)
- Potting soil
- Herb seeds or plants
Want to see just how to start a garden in a jar? Watch the video below!
Can’t watch the video or missed some of the steps? Follow along below!
- Download this free file and upload to Cricut Design Space. Have trouble uploading? Click here to see a video on how to do this.
- Cut the words you need from outdoor vinyl. My recommendation is to use outdoor vinyl if you are using these indoors or out. This will help these to last a long time even when exposed to moisture.
- Clean your jars well (using rubbing alcohol is an easy way to do this).
- Then weed any excess vinyl from your labels and apply it to the jars with transfer tape. I like adding the words vertically but you can add them however you would like. The Cricut outdoor vinyl also comes in a wide variety of colors so use some that matches your outdoor decor.
- Add rocks to the bottom of your jars for drainage then add in soil. You can then use these to start seeds or add in plants if you wish.
You will love growing a garden in a jar this spring!
These would also make a great gift for the end of the school year to the teachers that have made a difference in your child’s life. Be sure to pick up a few extra jars and give a garden in a jar as a gift this year.
How many herbs will you be growing this year?
Love this garden in a jar and want more Cricut ideas? Try the links below!
New to Cricut?
Sign up to get the guide emailed to you!