Back to school season is here and you can celebrate by making a custom pencil case with your Cricut machine in minutes. This easy project is a perfect way to personalize your child’s school supplies. I used a cactus image but you can definitely use this same technique with any image or word you can imagine!
Supplies needed to make this custom pencil case:
Some links below may be affiliate links which means that you do not pay anymore, however, a small commission will go to this site.
- Cork pencil pouch (I found mine at Hobby Lobby)
- Patterned Iron-on
- Cricut machine (click here to see which I prefer)
- Iron or EasyPress (click here to see more about the EasyPress)
- Weeding tools (optional)
- Stay Sharp cut file (click here to access)
- Parchment paper
- Start by opening this cut file in Cricut Design Space. This is for the “stay sharp” image you see on the bag in this post. To fully customize this project, just design your own images and words in the software. Need help with Cricut Design Space? Click here to get our beginner’s guide.
- Cut the words and cactus from patterned iron-on. Remember to mirror your design before cutting and cut with the patterned side down.
- Then weed any excess material from around the image as well as the centers of any letters. Weeding tools do make this a bit easier but they are optional.
- Then just position your design on the cork bag. Cover the entire thing with parchment paper to protect the cork from the heat.
- Use your iron or EasyPress over the design to adhere to the bag. Start with 275 degrees for 20 seconds and increase from there if the iron-on is not adhered well. Remove the backing paper once adhered and your custom pencil case is complete.
Using iron-on directly on odd materials like cork is so super simple! Start off fairly cool with your temperature and work up if needed. The iron-on will adhere great and last a nice long time! It is perfect for items like this for school.
So, tell us, what will you add to the front of your custom pencil case?
Love this custom pencil case and want more back to school ideas? Try the links below!
- First Day of School Teacher Gift
- Back to School Cupcakes
- Chocolate Apples Back to School Treat
- School Checklist
- over 40 back to school ideas here!
New to Cricut?
Sign up for our email list here to download the Beginner's Guide to Cricut Design Space for FREE today!
Sign up to get the guide emailed to you!