This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
Learn how to make a potholder with our super simple instructions below. I made this DIY jar potholder from some fabric I had on hand. I love the way it turned out and thought I would share the easy step by step instructions with y’all. Grab some fabric and get started on making your own potholders today.
Supplies needed to make a potholder:
Some links may be affiliate links which means you do not pay any more.
- Fabrics of your choice (three fabrics in this case)
- Solarize liner
- Fusible fleece
- Heat ‘n Bond Lite
- Mason Jar Die (discontinued by Sizzix)
- Labels Die
- OPTION: Electronic Craft Cutter to cut shapes instead of dies
- White Biased Tape (double fold)
- Sewing machine and thread
Start by watching the video below on how to make a potholder. I tried to fit everything into a short video for you. I sometimes think it is easier to WATCH the making of something like this than to read the instructions. I have the step by step instructions below the video was well so if you miss something, give that a try!
How to make a potholder
- Cut fabric to size you wish to use for potholder.
- Iron on fusible fleece to one side of the potholder (this becomes the back).
- Iron Heat ‘n Bond to a coordinating fabric.
- Cut jars from fabric with Sizzix, craft cutter, or just scissors.
- Iron Heat’n Bond to white fabric.
- Cut jar lids and labels from fabric.
- Peel backing paper from shapes and place on pot holder front (without fleece).
- Iron to adhere each piece to the fabric.
- Sew around outside of applique with a zig zag stitch.
- Sew bias tape to front of pot holder (for more on sewing bias tape see this tutorial here).
- Sandwich your potholder front, Solarize lining, and potholder back (with fleece).
- Turn bias tape to where it wraps your sandwich.
- Sew around bias tape again (for more on sewing bias tape see this tutorial here).
- You now have a gorgeous pot holder!
You can learn how to make a potholder with our super simple tutorial. Give this DIY mason jar potholder a try or make your own design. The steps will be basically the same. Y’all enjoy!
Want to add more mason jars to your kitchen? Click here to see how to make this mason jar pallet art!
A Year of Jar Crafts
Sign up for our email list to get a FREE book with an entire year of jar crafts! 12 months, 12 crafts, tons of fun!