Learn how to make this simple smiling llama felt finger puppet! It’s so easy to make and a hit with the kids!
Is there anything better than a smiling llama? I really can’t think of much! Llamas are already cute – and llama crafts are even better.
I realized that I didn’t have much in the way of llama crafts on the site, so I made a llama finger puppet pattern using the Cricut. It’s perfect for the little ones that love the Llama Llama series of books.
This craft was originally a part of Craft Lighting week where I and several other craft bloggers shared 15-minute felt crafts. If you love quick crafts, check out the other fun (and fast!) felt crafts that were included.
Supplies Needed to Make This Smiling Llama Finger Puppet
Some links below may be affiliate links which means that you don’t pay any extra when you purchase; however, a small portion of your purchase will go to support this site.
Some items below were given to me free of charge, but all projects and opinions are my own.
- Felt (I used the Cricut felt sheets)
- Iron On Vinyl (I used the iron on lite in black and the foil iron on in pink)
- Cricut Cutting Machine (Want to see the difference between the machines? I compared the Cricut Maker and Explore here.) I definitely recommend the Cricut Maker for cutting felt for this project.
- Weeding tools (optional)
- Cricut EasyPress (optional but recommended – see below for details)
- Cut file for Cricut (click here to access)
- Embroidery floss
Project How-To Video
I made a video below all about the Cricut EasyPress machine and it shows how to make this smiling llama finger puppet!
Smiling Llama Puppet Craft Instructions
If videos aren’t your thing, just follow these step-by-step directions that show you how to complete this project. You can also print them out down below in case you need to have them in front of you as you work 😁
Start by cutting the pieces for your llama from the felt and iron-on vinyl. Make sure that you mirror the vinyl images before cutting.
As a reminder, when cutting iron-on projects, be sure to cut with the shiny side down.
Weed the vinyl of all excess bits then apply it to the front of your llama with the Cricut EasyPress.
If you can’t watch the video, here is how to apply your vinyl:
- Start by setting the EasyPress to the recommended settings.
- Next, use it to heat up the felt slightly for a few seconds with nothing on it.
- Add the pink foil vinyl with the carrier sheet to your project.
- Then, press with the EasyPress for the recommended amount of time.
- Allow everything to cool then remove the carrier sheet.
- Add black vinyl in the desired location.
- Make sure that all vinyl pieces are covered with a carrier sheet.
- Finally, press again according to instructions then let cool.
Once this second application is cool, you can again remove the last carrier sheet. Then you simply need to attach the front of the puppet to the back.
Use a whip stitch around the outer edge with some embroidery floss and a needle.
Now our smiling llama finger puppet is finished and ready for some playtime!
This adorable guy is the perfect way to read the Llama Llama series of books or even watch the new Netflix series!
If you love this project, check out my cat puppet tutorial too.
Want More Projects That Kids Will Love? Check These Out!
- Build a Sock Puppet Gift Idea
- Shaun the Sheep Paper Bag Puppets
- Wild West Puppet Theater for Kids
- 25 Minion Crafts You Just Have to Make
- Cricut cutting machine
- Cricut EasyPress
- Weeding tools
- Start by cutting the pieces for your llama from the felt and iron-on vinyl. Make sure that you mirror the vinyl images before cutting.
- Remove excess pieces of vinyl, then use the Circut EasyPress to apply the pink vinyl to the front of your llama. Remove the carrier sheet then repeat the process for the black vinyl.
- Let this application cool and remove the second carrier sheet. Then attach the front of the puppet to the back by using embroidery floss and a whip stitch.
- Enjoy playing with your smiling llama finger puppet!
- Set the EasyPress to the recommended setting.
- Next, use the EasyPress to slightly heat the felt up to prepare it.
- Add the pink foil vinyl (with the carrier sheet) to your project.
- Press with the EasyPress for the recommended amount of time.
- Allow everything to cool. Remove the carrier sheet.
- Add black vinyl in the desired location.
- Make sure that all vinyl pieces are covered with a carrier sheet and press again.
New to Cricut?
Sign up for our email list here to download the Beginner's Guide to Cricut Design Space for FREE today!
Sign up to get the guide emailed to you!