Preserve precious family memories with a special and unique family picture frame you’ll love to display in your home. Or, make a family photo frame as a DIY gift for family or friends!
One of my favorite things is to display family pictures around our home. I love being able to see the smiling faces of family and friends in every room.
Over the years, I’ve made several different DIY family photo frames. A few of my favorites have been the:
The method I’m using for this differs from those other frames because it uses a Cricut machine and vinyl.
Plus, it has a classic black and white motif. Seriously, what’s not to love? Without any further adieu, let’s start crafting.
How To Make A DIY Family Picture Frame
I’m ready to dive right in and have some fun! Here’s everything you need to know to make this adorable DIY frame.
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this family photo project! I’ve included some handy links to make finding certain items a little easier and faster.
- Craft paint (I used black acrylic)
- White vinyl
- Transfer tape
- Cricut machine (you can see which is my favorite here)
- Free SVG file
You can make a family picture frame with our free SVG file and your Cricut or Silhouette machine in minutes. This fun project is perfect for your own home or to give as a gift.
Paint the frame with a few coats of craft paint, allowing time to dry in between coats. I used a chalky finish paint, but you can choose any finish that you love.
Download the free SVG file while your paint is drying. You can click here to access the file. Then upload it to your cutting machine and cut the design out from the white vinyl.
Tip: If you need some help on how to upload the file to a Cricut machine, check out this video tutorial.
You will then need to weed all of the excess vinyl from around your design and the centers of all of the letters.
Once your paint is dry, you can add the vinyl to the side of your frame with transfer tape.
Then just add in your pictures, and this family photo frame is ready for display or to wrap up for a fun gift idea!
Here are a couple of questions that I see readers ask about making this family photo frame project. If you have a question, please check to see if I’ve already answered it below. Don’t see your question? Leave it for me in the comments!
Can I use any photo frame for this project?
To make this family picture frame project, I recommend using a wooden frame that has space for the wording. I was able to find a blank one at my local craft stores such as Michael’s or Hobby Lobby.
What other things can I do to personalize this frame?
When it comes to picture frames, I prefer to go simple and let the photos be the focus. However, if you want to add a little more to this frame, you could add some lines or leaves in the open space around the photo.
You also change the color scheme – a white frame with black lettering would look nice!
What’s the best kind of paint for this project?
I hope you enjoy making this project as much as I enjoyed creating it! This SVG file adds the perfect poignant sentiment, and you can use it on a variety of frames and home decor!
This project also makes a great gift for Valentine’s Day. Give it to mom or grandma for a thoughtful Mother’s Day gift from the heart.
Now you can do all Valentine’s Day crafting for yourself, the kids, and all of your loved ones.
I love how this family photo frame turned out, and I am sure you will love it as well!
More DIY Photo Frame Inspiration
If you love this project, be sure to check out these other DIY photo frames too.
- How To Make A Picture Frame From Scrap Wood
- Custom Mats For Frames Using The Cricut Maker
- Picture Frame Ornaments (Using Your Cricut)
- Baby Photo Frames with Footprints
- Wedding Frame with Song Lyrics from Cricut
Free Valentine’s Day SVG Files From Friends
I promised you more free SVG files. In fact, we have a few more for you to choose from below!
- You’re my lobster– The Simply Crafted Life
- Love you More– Pineapple Paper Co.
- Heartbreaker– Happiness is Homemade
- XOXO Y’all– Everyday Party Magazine
- Fancy Heart– 100 Directions
- Love Bug– See Lindsay
- Love Grows Here– Kingston Crafts
- Galentine’s Day– Hey Let’s Make Stuff
- Chocolate is my Valentine– That’s What Che Said
- I Love You a Sloth– Brooklyn Berry Designs
- Love Bites– Artsy Fartsy Mama
- Love is a Puzzle– Pattern Revolution
- Be Mine? Thought Bubble– Hello Creative Family
Use these files to create a family photo frame of your very own or any of the other great projects shown. Crafting for Valentine’s Day has never been easier!
Need Help Organizing Your SVG Files?
Are you overwhelmed with the number of files on your computer? SVG (or digital cut) files can take up a ton of space, and it can be so hard to find exactly what you are looking for. That is where Cut File Clean Up comes in! The Cut File Clean-Up system ends the frustration of organizing your cut files so that you can find what you need and get to the best part of crafting—actually making your project.
The best part is that you can get it for a deal right now with great bonuses. And yes those bonuses include even more digital cut files for your crafting. You can’t get enough of those right? Grab it now.
- Paint the frame with a few coats of craft paint allowing to dry in between coats. I used a chalky finish paint but you can choose any finish that you love.
- Download the free SVG file and upload it to your cutting machine. Cut out the vinyl.
- Weed all of the excess vinyl from around your design and the centers of all of the letters.
- Once the paint is dry, use transfer tape to add the vinyl to the side of the frame.
- Add your family photos and display proudly!